Young at heart

April 9, 2013
Young at heart

I couldn’t be more excited about “New Leaf”. Not a new Nissan…the next Animal Crossing game. Why? Because I like games that remind of of the innocence and purity of being a kid, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with enjoying these kinds of “cute” experiences at my age. Or your age. Or any age.

Anyone else planning on picking it up? It’s one of the half dozen reasons I purchased a 3DS in the first place. Looking forward to visiting your towns soon. :)

Couple quick notes. Nerdtacular 2013 tickets are for sale! Also, the Nerdtacular App was released as well for iOS devices. You can get it here. Oh, and one last thing, the Frogpants Mugs are kind of awesome, and I think you should own one.

17 Responses to Young at heart

1. Espi says:

ROFLMAO…LOVE IT

2. SalesGeek says:

I am totally there! Need more fishing and fossils!

3. Laffable says:

I think the second I get a real job, I’m gonna buy all the Frogpants things.

Also, love me some Animal Crossing (I briefly typed that as “Animal Farm,” which I enjoy far less)

4. Tom says:

I was in a combat unit in the Navy at the time Animal Crossing came out on the Game Cube. Let’s just say there was a large majority of us playing it. I can remember knocks on my door just before midnight more then once to “travel”. HAHA If its good enough for rough tough grunt types, its good enough for me.

5. Sixcolors says:

How I feel when someone negatively comments on my love of cartoons. Especially ones that involve brightly colored ponies.

• Falos says:

I admire your discretion and I try to be supportive of all sorts, but it’s hard to approve of your kin when they’re sometimes… in your face about it.

6. Vake Xeacons says:

Ha! Already reserved it! It’s the last game I can think of announced at E3 2010. As for these two, usually, it’s the other way around for me!

7. I shouldn’t play Animal Crossing because I’m a guy? Pft! Labels…

8. Hmm. Well, I’m not above playing Bubble Bobble, and it looks like the programmers had fun making this game.

9. Jack says:

I have never experiences an Animal Crossing Game before…. perhaps it’s time to try one.

10. Dimitricus says:

Man, Scott, I agree with your comments about it not being wrong to play games, whatever your age is, so much. All my life, I have been told, you’re too old to play with toys, you’re too old to play games, you need to be serious all the time. Thanks so much, this made my day. :)

11. Moobie says:

Awesome as always Scott! :D

12. Deax2er says:

I really love this comic, and I can’t help but agree, I think this pans out to almost every Nintendo franchise that certain people think only children should/could be able to enjoy.

13. Cody Shiranai says:

I love how the strip is predictable, but satisfying regardless and how you can really see the “moral” in it.

The skinny guy is basically one of those guys who is mad about something in his life (one of them probably being that he is short and skinny and dorky), and upon seeing someone who is he already jealous of (someone who is huge and powerful looking and intimidating) trying to enjoy something that isn’t “fitting” of that dynamic in the eyes of average people, he thinks he can get his kicks by ruffling his feathers through something he thinks is a weakness. The protagonist then shows just how much of a “weakness” it is and the antagonist realizes he’s made a grave mistake and looks like a huge jerk in the process.

Or I’m looking way too deep into this comic…

There’s multiple cultural analogies in there though in what people have to go through dealing with others; that’s including non-gamers looking at us from outside the culture and other gamers looking within who think you have to play something crazy violent and bloody to be “mature”…

• Jack says:

No no, your right :3. It’s the internet, in comic strip form, or rather the exact reason people shouldn’t say the things they say on the internet to peoples faces directly.

14. Falos says:

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

– C.S. Lewis