What’s in a name?

April 14, 2014
What’s in a name?

So this Heartbleed thing…kinda scary stuff, yeah? It finally drove me to get a password manager (went with ‘1Password‘). Makes me feel better about it, even though I’m sure there are about 20 passwords to sites and services I don’t remember signing up for out there. Onward and upward I figure.

14 Responses to What’s in a name?

1. 1Password for the win. I use Dropbox to sync it across both of my Macs, my gaming PC, and my iOS devices.

2. Josh Prescott says:

A password manager is totally the way to go. I’ve been using LastPass for about a year. It is a perfect solution.

3. Vake Xeacons says:

I thought it was always “password1.”

4. Vake Xeacons says:

P.S. Fartbleed does sound ten times scarier.

5. Foxlore says:

As with Jesse’s comments above, 1Password + Drobbox combo works great. Been using it for a couple years now across iOS devices and Macs. It was on the pricey side, but I’ve found it well worth it.

6. Falos says:

Maybe it does take a new piece of software to get people above password entropy. In the end it’s Mission Accomplished, I guess.

7. Keith Gould says:

1Password – Great Choice! Ever since it’s debut I’ve considered it to be a “don’t leave home without it” application. It takes all the guesswork out of password hygiene.

I think your FartBleed guy might be nearer the truth though. There’s no doubt that HeartBleed has/had massive potential risk but I didn’t buy the scare mongering – chafe everything everywhere. Perhaps the biggest risk will be from phishing eMails riding on the back of HeartBleed.

Love your work – still smile when I think of the Daft Punk cartoon…

8. Nigel Hudson says:

Fartbleed…that would be the guy who shouts “Fartgas!!” 😄

9. Darthy says:

If anyone wants to see if a site is vulnerable to Heartbleed ssllabs.com is the place to go :)

10. Mr. Belvedere says:

Dropbox. Where Dr. Condoleezza Rice is the new member of the board of directors. (https://blog.dropbox.com/2014/04/growing-our-leadership-team/)

11. Eugene says:

Lastpass has all the same features, is backed by Steve Gibson from TWIT and, it’s FREE.