Today’s Comic: “Time for Both”

April 30, 2008
Today’s Comic:  “Time for Both”

Playing around with this idea that games and movies are starting to compete in a very serious way…something that has been said of the release of GTA4 and the opening of Ironman more than once. So that was the point of this comic. Oh, and if you want to see it made, you can see the video here. Thanks to those who were in attendance, and a few of you who even helped shape the comic. You guys are awesome!

(Sorry for the abrupt ending…my power went out right at that moment, and I was unable to make the graceful exit. The wind was blowing like the end of the world where I live last night.)

EDIT: For the record, I think the idea that the movie will suffer due to GTA players, is complete horse poop. Not a believer.

21 Responses to Today’s Comic: “Time for Both”

1. You realize, of course, that the whole “GTA IV might cause people to not go see our movie” line is a load, right? It’s just their way of lowering expectations, so if the movie tanks they can point to GTA and say “See, we said this might happen”, and if the movie does okay, they can say “wow, imagine how good we would have done if not for GTA!”

I do not doubt that there is some impact on movies when big games come out, but no where near the level that the movie companies would have us believe.

I do love that last panel though.

2. Bearbutt says:

Oh! You mean “The wind was blowing like a butthole.”

Fun times in the chatroom! :)

3. Mattzilla says:

Why is that I’m assuming it’s Brian in the Iron Man suit? :)

4. Scott says:

because he loves hookers.

5. mr mr says:

When are you pickin up GTA Scott?

• Imran says:

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don’t know who you are but deienitfly you are going to a famous blogger if you are not already Cheers!

6. Samantha Jane says:

LOL Scott =) *hugs*

7. Mattzilla says:

ah thanx for clearing that up Scott :)

8. Eric says:

Just tell me if GTA4 is good enough to entertain someone with a short attention span for a few months. We ain’t going near no theatre until the movie moves to a smaller screen. All the kids (elementary through college) with their cells. (I told them they should have put in cell-proof shielding.)

9. Jeff R. says:

Scott, don’t you remember the policy that basically all movie theaters have?

“Please turn off your cell phones, or put into a silent mode. Thank you, and enjoy the movie.”

10. It was fun watching this comic get made last night. One note though, “Iron Man” is actually two words, not one, according imdb, Wikipedia and Marvel themselves. I tried to point that out in the chat, but I don’t think you were reading it at the time.

Funny comic! Though, for some reason I have Brian’s voice in my head for the Iron Man lines. But I assume the joke is that that’s ACTUALLY Iron Man. Either way, hilarious!

11. Liraco says:

So did you finally decide on the PS3 version or the 360?

Sorry to hear the power went out, oddly enough there was a lot of thunder here too so I thought I might get cut out at any moment. Nice to see the final joke made it in. :D

Also, how are you liking that new fill technique?

• Alp says:

vaqevt epyhms yeudssrp sffotfi njhubjl tgkos Mic,Mike,Microphone,Speak Into Micriophone,Singing,Holding The Microphone, | Gwan Soon Lee Tattoo nlztjxu

12. Scott says:

360…just too many people on my friends list to ignore. :)

13. Dan says:

We all know that there are many things that you give up by deciding to do other things.

For example, you can no longer read magazines once you start reading from web sites. It just cannot happen, I think it is in the Geneva Convention somewhere.

If you play videogames, you will do that over watch TV or see a movie. Apparently you will play them for so long that you will do so for such extended periods of time as a two hour reprieve for mild social interaction will prove life threatening.

However, it IS possible to kick ass AND chew bubblegum.

14. Barl says:

I would say that it is stupid too, buuuut last night when I went and saw it with my friends, one of them actually cancelled because “he was on a mission that really annoyed him” so we should just go without him.
    Now that friend is something of GTA maniac and he could go see it later, but if still, if there is one like him there are proberly more. Maybe the opening day of Iron Man could be hurt a tiny itsy bit by GTA 4.

15. Lifeisaglitch says:

Its not complete crap you have to think of the amount of boys 13-18 (Major part of the targeted audience) who don’t have money for both and have an easier time pirating a movie then a game, and so on. There are a lot of variables, i agree on them using it as an excuse but it ain’t pulled out of their asses.

• Paula says:

Hey! This is my 1st comment here so I just waetnd to give a quick shout out and tell you I really enjoy reading through your blog posts. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same topics? Thanks!

16. Skipppy says:

Hey man, i don’t know if u knew about this, but here in mexiland (Mexico… i can say that cuz i live here!) Iron Man Premiered yesterday (Wednesday) and i have to say… this was one hell of a good movie, you must be asking why?… well here in Mexico we have a national day for kids “Dia del NiƱo” thats on the 30th of April, Mexican Movie Theaters payed a huge fee to be able to play it on this day, but it was worth it, i really liked how hundreds of parents took their children to see a Iron Man and be able to see one of the heroes we in our young years used to see and read a lot (remember the Iron Man Cartoon?).

Well, just thought i was gonna mention this news, and tell you what everyone all ready knows Iron Man rocked my arse off, Robert Downey Jr. portraits a very well Tony Stark and you will see some stuff for the sequel (it’s not a secret… they slap you with the idea without shame… and YOU LIKE IT!).

Well, just 1 day until everyone can see it and enjoy it too!

17. Som says:

Mic,Mike,Microphone,Speak Into Micriophone,Singing,Holding The Microphone, | Gwan Soon Lee Tattoo lromcb kwnxklf pvjdsi wsyqkci dbdbzlsn tygetit pljep