Today’s Comic: “The worst pain I ever had”

March 12, 2008
Today’s Comic: “The worst pain I ever had”

shot-to-the-foot.png

Remember that foot thing I mentioned on ELR a couple weeks ago? Well, it got worse, worse to the point that I was unable to walk on it at all. So, I went in to see a specialist, and he says I have some weird nerve thing called the Baxter something or other. Its nerve damage done to my foot back when I cranked it in basketball a few years ago. To know for sure, he had to stick a needle through the top of my foot near my ankle, and run it through the nerve, and out the heel, injecting a pain blocker as he went. I have NEVER, EVER felt pain like that needle in my foot. I nearly cried like a little girl. It was only about 12 seconds, but they were the worst seconds ever!

He would later inject some steroid thing in there so it would make the nerve un-inflame itself. :) We’ll see how that goes.

Anyway, thought I would try and lighten the hideous experience by immortalizing it in comic form.

44 Responses to Today’s Comic: “The worst pain I ever had”

1. As for the drying. In the words of a Portal Turret. . . “I don’t blame you”

But yeah, it sounds painful.

2. Adrian says:

Ouch…

Hope it will be better now.

3. Wow, Steroids? I think Scott will be sporting a mad six-pack and hair in odd places at the Nerdtacular.

4. El Fnord says:

How can 12 seconds be minutes? The worst 0.2 minutes?

5. Felix says:

The comic is even funny if you don’t know about Scott’s foot, I like it! :D

6. Agent Eggroll says:

Man that must have been a beasty needle to get through your entire foot. Just be glad he didn’t hit a bone.

7. SergeantSalad says:

Ugh, seriously needles+foot. It’s a unique TERRIBLE pain. I threw up when I had to be injected four times in the big toe. Ingrown toenail = bad.

YAY gross foot stories!!

8. mashimizu says:

you’ve never had an injection on your gland i suppose.. that’s real pain!!! ç_ç

9. Cl8on says:

Sounds like you have plantar fasciitis – sometimes treated with steroids…

10. The Q Man says:

Man, SergeantSalad is bringing up too many bad memories. Ingrown toenails (four visits since I kept getting them on each side of the big toe) was never fun. The last time I was so nervous that my adrenaline pumped the numbing agent through my system so halfway through I could feel every minute. Now going all the way through the foot…put me to sleep first!

11. Eric says:

Ouch! At least, you can take steroid shots for stuff like that. Doc says I can’t. Something to do with a lack of brain or too much brain or something-or-other regarding my brain. I can’t remember. Big words.

Here’s hoping one of us can walk. (I’m hoping for me, honestly, but meh. You got lil’ ones to upkeep.)

@El Fnord: Sit with a pretty girl for an hour and it feels like a minute. Sit on a hot stove for a minute and it feels like an hour. That’s Relativity. (I think Einstein said something like that.)

12. Io says:

Although not as painful sounding as getting a needle jabbed through the entirety of your foot (although, who here hasn’t stepped on a nail before?), one of the worst shot pains I have ever experienced was when I had to get my big toe deadened so the doctor could remove an infected ingrown toenail. Good gosh was that miserable. I never knew my foot had so many nerve endings!

13. Auggie says:

I’ve had that happen… I feel your pain. The Doctor that did me didn’t care I was screaming in pain. I think it was because he decided that i was joking. But I really wasn’t.

14. Bud the Chud says:

I had planters warts on the bottom of one foot (at least 7). they had to inject the stuff UNDER EACH WART. Worst pain ever. And this was when I was in my early teens. Sucked to be me.

15. Vlad8a says:

I know It hurts, I had the very same exact problem when I was 14, but mine got treated right ways since it got swollen after 2 days…

Hope your movement recovery doesn’t last 2 weeks as mine!

16. Werner says:

Scott, how much XP did you get for that?

17. Novan Leon says:

Needles! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. David says:

Try having your big toe’s nail cut completely off with no numbing first. Some hack doctor did that to me to fix my infected toe nail once. It didn’t work, grew back, and a real doctor .. a foot doctor .. fixed it properly, with a numbing agent, like a big boy!

19. Icesnake says:

If you ever need a steroid injection in your rotator cuff, I can tell you it’s much the same as your description (except, thank all the odd gods, the needle doesn’t come out the other side of your shoulder).

I hope it works better for you than it did for me, Scott. My pain is much the same, except now I have a spot where the needles went in that’s a little more sensitive than it used to be.

20. Darth_yoda (UK) says:

Ouchie! I had problems with my heel once, the whole area of my heel was covered in a massive area of puss. Had to go to the doctor to get removed by syringe, i can tell you it wasn’t pleasant.

• Mahmod says:

Don\’t let it weigh on you too much. There will always be smeoone from crit partners, to agents, to publishers, to readers who\’ll find things that they think you should do different or better. The trick is getting to the point where what\’s being suggested is strictly personal preference…then you know you\’re writing as close to perfect as you can.

21. Craazy says:

Holy crap! Man I feel sorry for you.

• Elena says:

Thanks for the reply Joel and it’s an interesting read but being a vegan makes that aopcparh a bit difficult. I do appreciate the thoughtful reply. Finding the right path for these kinds of bumps in the road can be challenging.

22. Labbug says:

Try having a nuclear medicine tech inject the top of your ear with a radioactive tracer so they can map the lymph nodes around your ear. There isn’t very much skin on the top of your ear and they had to leave the needle for a looooonnnngggg time. The guy was nice but he was like, “You know this is gonna hurt, right?”

23. Wicked says:

Wow… I almost passed out just reading that… needles… /shiver

24. Demo says:

Something similar happened to me!
    About 2 years ago, I stepped barefooted on a sewing needle and it got stuck into my heel about 3cm deep. The doctor had to stick ANOTHER needle to inject the pain stopper, then made an incision and pulled it out. The thing lasted an hour, and he had to keep putting some more because the effect didn’t last long. Worst time of my life.

25. nox says:

That sounds very painful. Reminds me of when I was in the ER while hyperventilating (sp?)
    I don’t know if you have ever been to a doctor when you were hyperventilating but they have to check the oxygen in your blood and they stick this needle into the top of your hand like right between your knuckles and then extract the blood. I think that your experience was probably more painful but I can definately relate to the worst 12 seconds of your life.

26. Bearbutt says:

I wanna go home! /cry

27. dman0001 says:

Scott – had a planters wart on the inside of my pinkie toe one time- went to the doctor – he said “is it full of seeds” (?) and i said i dont know – he rubbed it and every single muscle flexed and every nerve fired – i almost kicked him – yes there was seeds – had to burn it off with acid. – what a mess
    Oh and ingrown toenails – been there done that – hurts like hel*

So i can relate

But you do realize that you now have to appear before the senate committiee – just dont do what Roger Clemens did and say it was your wife taking the steroids :)

• Erik says:

I just now wanted to thank you again for your amzaing web site you have developed here. It really is full of ideas for those who are seriously interested in this specific subject, especially this very post. Your all so sweet as well as thoughtful of others and also reading your site posts is an excellent delight to me. And thats a generous gift! Dan and I really have enjoyment making use of your ideas in what we should instead do in the future. Our checklist is a mile long so your tips will certainly be put to fine use.

28. Scott says:

my problem is no seeds, no glass, no nothing. Pissing me off.

29. annette says:

yeah I hear you. I got tested for carpel tunnel syndrom in my hands/wrists. they forgot to tell me it involved sticking large needles into spots near the nerves and sending electricity through them.

30. Kainti says:

I was totally expecting this post to be about your crotch. While you suffered Scott, you have to admit that the crotch would have probably been worse.

• Gold says:

You are obligated to ionfrm your employer of your medical status. Due to the safety/health-sensitive nature of your profession, you are obligated.Your employer will take the necessary steps to protect you and your patients. Your employer can not fire you, unless it directly effects your ability to perform your job functions. If it does, they will work with you to try to find a suitable position that will utilize your skills and minimalize your exposure. If they can’t find an acceptable alternative, then yes, they can terminate your employment with them.If you do NOT ionfrm your employer, and it is discovered later that you have Hepatitis C, or any other transmittable disease that you have not divulged, not only will you be terminated, if there are any legal repurcussions, you will have to deal with these as well.

31. bunnyrut says:

ew ew ew ew ew ew ew eeeewwwwwoooooo….

i HATE needles. the needle is the worst part of anything.

32. Blades144 says:

Man I can totally relate. When I was a kid I got strep throat so many times, and back then you didn’t get a damn pill. They would shoot you in the upper part of your thigh with a big ass needle with penecillin or some “”-cillin type antibiotic. It got to the point where if I even saw a needle I would cry like alittle girl. Nowadays I would probably pass out from a tetanus shot.

33. GoofyMonkey says:

I put a mitch fork through my foot while digging for worms on a fishing trip (I’m a redneck I Know). So I sympathize with you Scott. Hopefully the needle helped.

34. GoofyMonkey says:

Pitch*

35. Mark says:

My worst experience with a needle was having blood drawn and having the needle break from the plastic “piece”. The nurse who was taking care of me acted like it was no big thing. So she tugs on the needle. Keep in mind, with every tug, the needle pushes further in and I could FEEL it touching bone in my arm. Not cool. She gives it a few more tugs and finally gives up. So, what does she do next? She starts turning the needle round and round in my arm and then tugs on it a few times. I’m sitting there the whole time practically in shock while the needle is clearly stuck in my arm. Again, she gives up and walks away. So, I’m sitting there with a needle stuck in my arm and not too happy about it. And if things couldn’t get worse, the lady comes back with a PAIR OF PLIERS. I see the pliers, I look at the needle, I look at her and the only thing I could think to say — before passing out — was “F#@$ YOU!”

When I woke up minutes later, I had one sore arm and a fair amount of blood on my arm.

Only, I didn’t care about my arm when I woke up, or the blood. See, I had a face about a foot away from mine shouting, “ARE YOU OKAY?” Now, I didn’t know who I was, where I was or how I got there. All I knew was that there was this person invading my personal space. So what did I do? I grabbed the person and choked ‘em.

Ah, such good memories.

36. eeeek. My *** just puckered tighter than a drum. I am so sorry that you had to deal with that. I feel like less of a man as I imagine how I would have crumpled like a rice paper hat on a monkey being crushed by a piano. You win.

37. Moobie says:

I’ve said this before, i’ll say it again. I’m glad I have hoofs. You humans can keep your feet. :-D

God bless ye Scott!

38. Adam_Y says:

Needles + feet = bad news, just bad news.

I like the sound of ‘The Baxter’ though… as in ‘ah, he walks like that ’cause he got the Baxter’.

39. G says:

Just going back to what Io said, did that injection cause you grief a few days after your surgery? I ask because I’ve recently had toenail surgery on my left toe and when I had an injection on the outside of my left toe it caused me sheer pain and I screamed in agony. Five days later and it still hurts. Also causes a sharp tingle right up my toe when I touch the side of it. What on earth is this? I’m also finding it difficult to walk. Will the pain go away by itself? Any suggestions anyone?