Today’s Comic: “The Starcraft Blues”

May 7, 2008
Today’s Comic:  “The Starcraft Blues”

Today’s comic is basically a real life reflection for me. It really is the ONLY upcoming PC game I care at all about, and as a result it drives me to play classic SC with some coworkers and such. A ten year old game, folks. Man, that thing has staying power. SC2 just SCREAMS to be be played by me, like right now.

So…a comic was generated as a result. Also, if you want to see it created, and listen to me and Brian yap while it happens, then this is the link you want as well. (And yes, I love me some Zerg.)

27 Responses to Today’s Comic: “The Starcraft Blues”

1. Rob says:

hehe, awesome strip man. “You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind.”

2. Zorbane says:

LOL wow this one is great!

3. wikear says:

SC… what about CS 1.6? I still play that game :P and many other people! Clans, leagues, tournaments, LANs… CS is still alive :)

4. “Vespene gas depleted” damn it, can’t wait for SC2

5. WizePapaSmurf says:

Yup, Zerg guy myself.

ZOMG, ZERGLING RUSH KEKEKEKE!

Think they will be nostalgic enough to have the original voices in there? I mean, how can we forget that “Spawn more Overlords” voice?

6. BIGGIN says:

You’ve been hanging with Ding Pong too much Scott. You’re becoming Korean.

7. Dol says:

I think they’d be crazy to do any significant changes to classic game voices like ‘spawn more overlords’ and such. I mean, its integrated into video game culture now so I think its a safe bet that it’ll be the same :)

8. Cikotik says:

Man, thats the way I feel about SPORE. I could care less about Starcraft crapo.

-=R=-

9. Jim says:

I actually said the same thing, Starcarft and WOW:WOTLK are the only reasons I have a video card

10. Kirby says:

I had a relapse into SC last month. I played it daily for a while there till I decided to unload it so I would be tempted to play it rather than level my new mage.

11. Eric says:

I said something during a conversation recently that’s stuck with me. The mention of Zergs reminded me of it:

“Darwinism is being overrun by sheer numbers.”

12. Duxwig says:

Holy smokes.
    …This is being printed out and stuck to our apartment fridge.
    You’ve captured the spirit of my roommate in full essence.

He’s playing SC again religiously for the last 3 weeks and wont stop talking about SC2.
    I come home and theres always a person or two with computers set up, with SC lan games going on.
    Oye.

13. Bearbutt says:

…and I am suddenly hungry for a banana.

14. Humble Hobo says:

Zerg FTW.

I am so desperate for SC2.

15. Kalakov says:

Bought starcraft from blizzard store DLC lost my cds eons ago… I was surprised to see how many folks still play it.

16. Scott G says:

For me I’ve been getting my game fix on the free WOW download. Now I keep hearing “Need More Rage” in my sleep

17. Molly says:

I think I may actually get my husband to play this game!!!

18. Savage says:

I’m waiting patiently. I’m also a Zerg man.

19. darkumbra says:

SPORE

Stopped playing everything right now – even canceled my WoW acct. Have a few days left to decide whether or not to give away all my gold and gems to some unsuspecting noob.

Fired up CIV III and played a few games. Stopped that as well. Who knows – I might fire up Master of Orion 2 (the last version never happened)

I’d load up old Wizardy games if I could get over the graphics – great in the day – but painful today.

Tiltowait!

20. Draxin says:

Zerg FTW.

It’d be kinda nice if we could get some SC/Brood Wars ELR nights going on…

21. Rudeboy says:

I’m in the same boat with a different blizzard game. I’m currently working my way through Act 3 of Diablo 2 on Hell difficulty with my lvl 74 Bowazon. Some of those uniques are kicking my trash, but darned if I’m not going to show Diablo a thing or two when I get there.

22. Ransom says:

Starcraft is cool and all but do you know what I think will be game of the year?

Sims 2: Ikea Expansion

You heard me.

23. Noir says:

bah i like master of orion 3 :P but i mostly play civ 4 atm, and eve online. Still SC2 looks good and all, but i am definitely more excited about Aion and Spore than SC2, not to mention Soul Calibur 4 :p
    Normal starcraft was fun and all, but the new one doesn’t make my starcraft sense tingle=(

24. jon says:

scott you’re not even interested in SPORE? i mean come on it’s will wright, “Please pee on us will wright!”
    well if not i’m excited enough for the both of us.

@Eric: that’s a really awesome quote do you mind if i steal it?

25. Draxin says:

@Jon

Spore can eat it as far as I’m concerned. I was excited about the game, but EA is using their new internet-required DRM software on it. Basically, in order to install the game you’ll have to be on the internet so it can check your CD-Key. That’s all fine and dandy, but then every 10 days it has to recheck it (which again, requires internet). Okay, so laptop users or people without constant-internet connections are now screwed to begin with. To make matters even worse, it will only allow you to install with the cd key 3 times. Hope you don’t reformat regularly or upgrade your PC often. If the CD key were to get genned, it’ll also know that it wasn’t from your computer and effectively lockout that CD key if it happened to become compromised.

This is all an updated version of the software used for Bioshock PC which was accused of installing all sorts of anti-piracy bad-mojo crap on your computer.

DRM software is crap, in my opinion. I get the idea, but they need to stop forcing restrictions and major pain-in-the-ass DRM on their customers. It’s like they don’t give a crap they’re really making it hard on the people that actually buy their crap. If someones gunna pirate this stuff, it ALWAYS happens and they find a way around it. Those of us that hold legitimate copies to this software or music are the ones getting screwed. And frankly, I ain’t buying any EA PC titles that have this crap on it.

/rant (Sorry, DRM enrages me. Buy a bunch of music on iTunes, switch to a Zune, suddenly my music I purchased are useless… same crap with the games trying to use this stuff now)

Thankfully, we’re talkin’ about StarCraft 2 and Blizzard has yet to put anything annoying to that kind of degree on their software.

26. Lord Zeon says:

Meh, Starcraft is dead to me. It was exciting back in 2000. Starcraft 2 appears to bring very little new to the genre, so I see no point in getting all excited about it. Spore, though DRM riddled, seems like it’s going to be a far more interesting game (and the DRM software is going to be less annoying than the damned SC fanboys). Besides that, Fallout 3 looks like it’s going to be coming out this year, which, although the jury is still out, appears like it’s going to be good. I’m sure there’s plenty of other games coming out this year that are going to be great, but, for me, Starcraft 2 isn’t one of them.