Today’s Comic: “Modern Times”

October 1, 2008
Today’s Comic: “Modern Times”

I heard something on the radio the other day where a bunch of music teachers were all worried that kids don’t understand real instruments and are being raised on Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and will never truly appreciate how real music is made. That they will go to their grave thinking that plastic video game controllers are the ultimate in rock and roll enjoyment.

Found it interesting, but at the very least, I got a comic out of it.

37 Responses to Today’s Comic: “Modern Times”

1. spencer says:

WWOOOOO! FREE BIRD!

2. Silly Scott, no one would EVER ask for Freebird on Medium! Maybe Through the Fire and the Flames on Medium, but Freebird, gotta rock the Hard or Expert…. ya gotta….

3. Samantha Jane says:

See and then I think, wow this will get kids interested in music and willing to pick up an instrument. But heck comics were going to wreck me for reading actual books … that of course failed, I’m a readaholic.

4. Icesnake says:

Are these the same teachers who failed their State proficiency exams? Sounds like it to me. What part of the South are they in? Are they afraid the kids won’t want to pick up empty corn liquor jugs and old washtubs to form bands like Grandpappy and his friends did?

5. TPNDrew says:

@Icesnake

Believe it or not, the south has some a lot of the most intelligent people in the country. Ever hear of Huntsville, AL? Probably not since this little gem gets lost in the idea that southerners are stupid. Huntsville, by the way, is the city that put man on the moon.

As far as the guitar hero/rockband thing goes. If anyone anywhere thinks that kids will equate fisher-price looking game controllers with the making or real music then they need to re-evaluate their outlook.

6. TPNDrew says:

Correction, a lot (minus the “some”).

7. Utahrogue says:

I think it makes Kids want to explore music more

8. The soc says:

That’s silly. Most people don’t understand the first thing about instruments that they’re listening to, how can learning more about the pattern of notes in a song etc. make you understand less about the music?

9. Novan Leon says:

The idea that people in the south are dumb is a stupid stereotype held majorly by the anti-religious left who thinks anyone who takes religion seriously and owns a gun is an idiot, the “bitter clingers” if you will.

Back on subject, far more people will ever play Rock Band than will ever have the patience or desire to play a real instrument. All in all, I don’t think it will have any effect on the number of people who start real bands with real instruments. Those who won’t, won’t and those who will, will.

10. Kal Skirata says:

South Park summed the Guitar Hero / Rock Band success best with it’s episode called Guitar Queer-O. Go check it out for free on the South Park website.

11. Thunderbolt says:

You can’t have new music games without new music.

12. Yeh the southpark guitar hero episode was the best. Playing the music acoustically. Utter genius. You just know that someone can do it.

13. Carsomand says:

Lies! I’ve played Trumpet since 5th grade, guitar since 6th bass since 8th and tuba since junior year! And Guitar Hero tells me that I rock!

14. Bearbutt says:

It’s just the opposite. Guitar Hero and Rock Band are putting the music back in our kids. Dopes!

15. Merazibah says:

Im in band, i play guitar hero, so do my friends in band. They think too hard, and Icesnake, about the south, im from texas… that was harsh… stereotypes suck…jugs are non-existent… very few talk like a “cowboy hick” that are my age (old people dont count)

16. Kainti says:

Hahahah, old people.

17. Mick says:

LOL, great comic Scott :) Reminds me of that South Park episode, anyone here see that?

18. Kainti says:

Thanks for taking that 5 minutes of my life away Leo, jerkoff.

19. Pineapple Farmer says:

No offense, but I don’t like the black & white and WoW comics. This one’s good, keep this up.

20. Eons_past says:

Another great laugh Scott. I’d even call it one of your best.

21. Kelly says:

I didn’t know much about music until i picked up guitar hero. Thats when i got an interested in rock, and i have been trying to learn real guitar ever since…

Maybe i’m the only one, but i think its kind of a gateway into the music world

22. jessie says:

ha nice! guitar hero IS for the homeless.

23. Jake says:

It’s nothing more than button mashing. If your great at GH you must rule at Whack-a-mole.

24. TheButcher says:

LOL thats funny i was thinking about that earlier today. I think GH kinda killed some good bands, but then again, a lot of the people i know who went INSANE over the GH and Rock band series ended up playing real guitars or drums. I personally SUCK at guitar hero and rockband though, i played guitar a few years before they came out and apparently that counts as negative points :P

25. Scott says:

Pineapple Farmer: eh?

26. Gerrandstuff says:

This is probably one of the best in a while. Made me lol loudly XD

27. Brian says:

Great comic Scott!

28. dman0001 says:

One of my Co-workers is in a band. We had this conversation about rock band – because there are those people that spend hours and hours playing GH and RB and thinking they are learning guitar, when they could learn actual guitar if they applied the dedication to it they are putting in. He agreed with – the only comment he made was that Drumming in RB has actually made him a better drummer. Because its all about keeping the beat.

29. Davad says:

Wait…there are still music teachers? I thought they were cut out of budgets long ago to make room for self esteem classes.

30. Icesnake says:

There’s apparently a whole lot of people who read this blog who have no idea that sarcasm is a legitimate form of expression, even if it was used by Dinsdale.

Yes, I am anti-religious; that comes from 40 years of being religious and discovering that it’s not about God and Man, it’s about controlling people and sucking their wallets dry.

No, I am no anti-gun. I think every adult American citizen ought to own a gun, and have mandatory training in the use and safety of firearms.

No, I don’t really think all Southerners are idiots. I have friends all over the world, including the South. I have lived in Houston, Lake Charles, Fayetteville, and a couple of small Missouri towns; but the stereotype of a gun-toting, toothless, washtub-thumping hillbilly in, say, Chicago just doesn’t work.

Hunstville is where important NASA facilities are located, yes. It’s also the facility which lost the start-up instructions for the Saturn V moon rocket, making it impossible to launch another Saturn V with any degree of confidence that it won’t explode. There are also important NASA facilities in Texas, California, Florida, Utah, and probably a few other States. Alabama does not have a monopoly on rocket scientists.

According to the Center for Study of Teaching and Policy, University of Washington, Document R-99-1, December 1999, student math skills in Grade 4 for 1992-1996 were below average in Georgia, Kentucky, West Virgina, Alaska, North and South Carolina, Mississippi, and Louisiana, with only West Virginia and North Carolina rising to “just” above average by the end of that period. So there might be some basis for the stereotype, at least when we’re talking about math.

31. Novan Leon says:

@Icesnake: You just admitted you ARE anti-religious and you DID make derogatory comments against southerners according to the popular stereotype, and even supported that argument again.

You need to find a way to expend all that bitterness and relax. Play some Guitar Hero or Rock Band maybe…

32. Devinius says:

I’ll tell you one thing, in my experience, those damnable Guitar Hero / Rockband songs are easier to play on a real quitar than they are with a plastic one.

33. Bex says:

I like this comic.

I once tried to learn guitar, but the interest just wasn’t there. I like Rock Band alot better. It’s just more fun for me. I’m sure there are alot of people who would say the obvious. It’s all about personal preference, so I don’t think it’s stunting the growth of music or anything.

34. Icesnake says:

Marx had one thing right: Religion is the opiate of the people.

Now I’m going to go kill some NPCs in WoW and “expend all my bitterness,” which is mostly caused by having to deal with Microsoft, and religions fanatics who want to run my life for me.

35. Colin says:

that is interesing an possibly quite true.

36. Siddharth says:

Good to find an expert who knows what he’s tankilg about!