Today’s Comic: “Like the day after Christmas”

November 5, 2008
Today’s Comic: “Like the day after Christmas”

Don’t want to get too much into it, but as far as I’m concerned, last night could not have gone better. Firstly, we finally got to see the real McCain come out from behind his crappy campaign managers cloak and remind people of the kind of man he really is in his concession speech. Classy all the way and I was super impressed. Obama’s speech was incredible as well, and I am holding these men to their word, as all Americans probably should. It’s easy to get cynical, but not me, not this time. Can’t afford to be. It’s go time, and I am ready to get behind it.

But back to the point of the comic…as much coverage and as much back and forth this stuff has had over the last two years, gotta say, gonna kinda miss it. The process is sometimes more fun and exciting than it has any right to be. Hence, the comic.

49 Responses to Today’s Comic: “Like the day after Christmas”

1. Bearbutt says:

I’m just glad it’s over, and now it’s time to get to work on the important suff.

2. Eric says:

It’s not over. That’s the attitude that will kill us.
    The media tells us there was a landslide when the individual votes have only a 10% difference (which is 5% off the middle). The Electoral College does not reflect the individual vote. Out of 50 states, how many more sided with our President? There was no landslide.
    Why is the media telling us there was?
    They want us to believe that we got what we wanted and that we should lay down and let them run the government now.
    The guy isn’t even in office yet. We haven’t gotten anything. Even after he gets into office if we want anything, we need to make sure it happens. If you sit back and just let this country drive itself, you can take no credit if the rest of us make things better and have no validity to any complaints if the country goes where you do not want it to go.

3. Eric says:

I failed to add: The media is still campaigning with its half-truths because they know the politicians still need our approval. It proves our part in the process is not over.

4. Scott says:

“The political process has just begun. We must support our elected now. Support doesn’t mean we sit back and watch them go. They’re not wind-up toys. The government is not meant to be self-guided.”

Well said.

5. matt says:

Well I think its important for those us that didn’t support Obama to realize that he is the president now and we should give him a a fair shake.

6. Eric says:

Just to make it clear: President Obama won. Landslide or not is immaterial that he is our President (and I will not make the distinction between President and President Elect as his job has already started). I will support President Obama.
    The only reason I bring up the landslide issue is to prove that the media knows we’re not out of the picture.

7. rowd says:

Yawn, no comment. Or is yawning a comment in itself? :)

8. NoBama says:

Lets just hope he doesn’t drive this country into the ground. Life in thie country isn’t bad.

I’ve worked under 8 years of President Bush. I make more money and have excellent employeer paid health care.

What do I do for a living? I am a coal miner.

So for those out there that have bad jobs, no health care. Well, its not anyones fault but your own. I could of sat and whined, but no I went out and got a job and worked for what I have. I pulled myself from nothing to being a wealthly 24 year old who makes more money than my college educated friends.

9. Shinobi Phoenix says:

I agree with Eric completely. It was even said in Obama’s speech, he can’t do it alone and we shouldn’t pretend 8 years can be fixed in less than 4. Bush told us to just sit back and keep shopping and everything would be taken care of. Yeah, we got “taken care of” alright.

The real fight is now; it’s not about elections and advertising and stances and showmanship now, it’s about actions.

10. bunnyrut says:

Like in past history, the minute he screws up the same people who fought for him will turn against him.

i hope he does a good job, but there is so much crap for him to fix that it will be a while before any sees that “change” he’d been talking about.

and Eric, thank you for you truly coherent and intelligent remark. Those are some reasons why i don’t even listen to the news.

• Zinia says:

Do you mind if I excerpt a few of your posts as slow as I endow with honor and socreus back to your site? My blog is in the vastly matching quarter of interest as yours and my visitors would positively gain starting a lot of the information you donate at this point. Satisfy let me get condition this alright with you. Thanks!

11. Scott says:

again, why people have to predict things negatively I will never know. Just hold them to their word, and do your best. As for me, my cynical side will take a back seat to my practical side this once.

12. Mike says:

I just couldn’t believe the news coming out of the US this morning when I woke up – I really hope this is a turning point for the US, it certainly seems a healthy thing.
    The thing I’ve noticed most about this US election result is just how elated the rest of the world is as well. There have been celebrations globally from non US citizens.

There was a palpable feeling of relief and optimism in my office this morning because of an election result that happened thousands of miles away…. speaks volumes.

• Avinash says:

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don’t know who you are but deniiftely you’re going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

13. Well said Scott. I would like to see I was very impressed with McCain last night. His concession speech was very heartfelt. I also listened to Obama’s acceptance speech and was equally impressed.
    Let’s all just wait and see.

This is huge step forward for the Neo-Socialist Party… er Democrats, I think…

14. DoggySpew says:

With at least 349 electoral votes vs 163 electoral votes, the media is right in that way calling this a landslide victory.

I did find it very respectfull of McCain congratulating Obama, but damn that crowd was anything but.

15. Clive says:

I’m extremely happy with the outcome.

I don’t agree with Obama’s stance on all the issues, but I think that he as president is a good direction for our country to take. I don’t expect things to change rapidly, but I think he will be good in the position, and I think that everybody should support him.

I am just glad that now, hopefully, everybody can stop being Republicans or Democrats, and start being Americans.

16. Scott says:

DoggySpewon: Yep…that is not a crowd you’d want to hook your wagon to for sure.

17. Atomic says:

Let’s just hope Obama doesn’t turn his back on the 46% of the people that didn’t vote for him.. if he does, that’s not change, that’s partisan politics as usual.

18. mercator says:

Now we roll up our sleeves and get to work.

Stop deficit spending as individuals (credit cards didn’t help the credit crisis, stupidly designed mortgages that people agreed to, noone saving any money)

Start local. Don’t let your city / state deficit spend either. Talk to your new or returning elected officials and let them know that SSDD is not okay.

We clamor for a new voice in government, versus another wonk career politician. We get one, and now everyone wants a career politician. If you don’t like that the politicians just tell you what they hear, demand more! We are content to know the surface details because those details are boring or might take a while. We are a short-attention span electorate. We can do better as voters to MAKE the politicians tell us what they will do, hold them to it, and elect the right people every time.

Here in Washington, we had a guy named Dino Rossi running against the Governor (Gregoire) again. Last time a few hundred votes made the difference. He ran billboards and yard signs saying “Don’t let Seattle steal the election.” I guess he thought that would work over here in the conservative east side of the state. What didn’t work is that anyone who did a little research discovered HE was from SEATTLE and his opponent was from Olympia. Ooops. He got what he wished for.

@Clive. YES! What is done is done and happy or not with the outcome, let’s remember we are the UNITED states and get to work, together!

19. ChrisS says:

Obama’s not my guy, but I have to say that I’m really proud of how far our country has come.

20. matt says:

With all respect that this is some EPIC turning point is this country was it so terrible that everyone was on the streets shotting at each other. I understand the changing of the guard but all the talk of everything was dark and now there is light. I think this is a great place and always have and it is insulting to me that we had to elect someone to change peoples minds about how America is a bad place. If your option of US is solely based on our leader you really don’t know much about us.

21. Don says:

I did not vote for Obama, I did not like his campaign platform, I do not agree with him on most of the issues, BUT now that he is president I will support him and hope that he can make America continue to thrive in all areas and keep the population safe.

Good luck Mr. President.

22. Burky126 says:

As Lemmy Kilmister once said

“The chase is as satisfying as the catch.”

Still, doesnt really matter unless Obama follows through on everything he promised.
    Then the whole circus starts again.Its the cycle…

23. JaFO says:

Good luck folks … you are going to need it regardless as the real struggle is only just beginning.
    Now it’s up to you to remind them of all the promises made during the campaign.

I still can’t help wondering when (not if) the few rotten apples will find a way to hurt whatever good may come of this election.

24. Mike says:

McCain’s campaign died when he chose Pallin as VP and when they decided to only focus on putting Obama down rather than actually say what they would do.

C-C-C Combo Breaker!

25. NeuroMan42 says:

McCain lost the day he chose his moronic running mate. Geeze… I would rather have the country run by a chimp with down syndrome then her dumb ass. I was able to sleep well in knowing that both her and McCain are back to being bitter and petty, and not being in the White House.

26. PLJack says:

Amen to all of you regardless of your position.

This is America people, let’s hear your opinion and get the show on the road.
    Jack.

27. Steven says:

good god what have we done…

28. Dread says:

@Steven
    The best thing we could do, we chose the only good candidate for president of the U.S.

29. Icesnake says:

@NoBama: “I pulled myself from nothing to being a wealthly 24 year old who makes more money than my college educated friends.”

Since when do wealthy people mine coal?

I work in I.T. and I also run my own business (the other 16 horus a day, it seems like). I have Veteran’s Administration health care, which is sh*tty, for which I worked 23 years in the Army, plus private health insurance through my 40-hrs/wk day job; I make enough to have bought a 1/4-million-dollar home, which is now worth about 2/3 of that thanks to Bush and his devastation of the US economy through war and p*ssing off our foreign trading partners.

I’m not wealthy, by “normal” standards, but I get by; I’m not whining, I am *furious* that Bush was put into office by a crooked election, kept there by a crooked election, and wasn’t impeached and removed because his Party controlled Congress and the Senate long enough that it would have been pointless to start the process by the time the GOP was no longer the “only game in town.”

The company I work for (of which I am part owner, by the way) let go 5 people (out of a total staff of roughly 100) last month in order to reduce expenses *for the first time ever*. This company is a little over 15 years old, and has gone from 2 guys working in the back of a barn to a multi-million-dollar international corporation with both a 401K plan and employee ownership, through excellent management and aggressive and effective sales of a superior product – but the economy is so far in the toilet that our *customers* are going belly-up.

That’s what your buddy Bush has done. So bully for you; you found a dangerous job (that’s why the pay is so high, genius!) that will make you unable to work in 30 years, making a product that releases more carbon into the atmosphere than any other single source *and* more radiation than all the world’s nuclear reactors combined, and you have the gall to feel like you’re superior to the poor guys who can’t make ends meet? You, sir, are *PART* of the problem.

30. Kal says:

If I never hear the phrase “Battleground state” again, it will be too soon.

31. FarrelNZ says:

Agree absolutely Scott, i was impressed and moved by the dignity shining through in McCain’s last speech.
    As a New Zealander, I was hoping Obama would win and, even more so, live up to the expectations on him now.
    But that speech by McCain really showed the measure of the man, and made me feel real pangs of sympathy for someone who is so obviously a genuine patriot.
    I tend to believe the idea that he may have been forced into a dirty campaign against his better nature. Between that and the choice of Palin, I think the republicans lost this as much as the democrats won it.

But, Obama won, and I couldn’t be happier. I hope he is a true new hope and i hope that he gets the support he deserves.
    Gratz America :D

32. Jay says:

Oh remember remember the fifth of November.

Happy Guy Fawkes day.

33. FarrelNZ says:

Oh, I also think president Obama should send a giant bouquet to Tina Fey and Katie Couric.
    Between them they skewered Sarah Palin -and therefore the whole republican campaign- better than a dozen infomercials

34. Colin says:

he has made history, i just hope nothing bad comes of it, an African-American President, and a very rascist Governmential system, bad stuff will stir… its not like it hasen’t happened before, but Obama is cool i hope nothing happens.

35. Rhett says:

I cant convince anyone anymore so I wont try. I hope he turns out to be a good president. For our sakes I hope he does. However, this may become the greatest mistake this country has ever made. This isnt me disagreeing with policy anymore. This could be something far worse. Dont blame anyone but yourselves if this turns out badly. Cross your fingers and hope he doesnt suck.

36. Not a Kool-aid Drinker says:

I’m holding Obama to his word, too:

37. Eons_past says:

Amen to that icesnake. Trully good points on all fronts and I hope your situation is made better in the next 4 years. I can’t stand people who insinuate that people “choose,” to be poor.

Anyway… Nov. 4 was a great time for our nation, whether you agreed with the outcome or not. It shows how far we’ve come as a nation. People who are worried about Obama, well he knows you are. That’s why he made that speech last night; to encourage everyone to help him reform America. Have a good 4 years Mr. President

38. KLMay says:

If you expect change in a good way. You are all just kidding yourselves.
    I would love to be wrong… but I’m not.

for example… What was his first act. Appoint an ex-Clinton aid for Chief of Staff.
    Change?

39. Bloodharp says:

@ KLMay:
    Ive read some of Obama’s book, The Audacity of Truth, and he seems to feel that Clinton started something that could have grown into improving our economy from the 500+ bank closings that happend just before Bill took the White House. Personally, I feel he may be on to something. If it hadnt been for his moral indiscretions, would we be b****ing so much about Bill? So it makes sense for Obama to bring some ex-Clinton people in, since he thinks Bill was on the right path. But this is all circumstantial and just one persons view.
    To Obama, i say good luck.

40. Scott says:

This just in! KLMay can predict the future!

SAVE THE CLOCK TOWER!!!!

41. LucaStefan says:

Well, did you remember remember the fifth of novermber?

42. Nobama says:

wealthy people don’t mine coal? Hmm…a 250,000 dollar home? You probably live in California with a 1000 square foot home that would be 25,000 anywhere else in the world.

I made over 150,000 last year. Live in a 2500 square foot house on 30 acres of land. Think of things in context.

Just because you peck at a computer all day doesn’t mean you make good money.

43. Dr.D says:

Im just glad its over. I voted mcain just cause? Like the game But more so in line with beleifs or what have you’s and my parents and grandparents and blah blah but i got drunk and was glad to see obama pull through and make a hell of a speech. Is it gay to say i was kinda teary eyed. Anyways, back to work and school. Cheers.