Today’s Comic: “Freedom has a downside”

July 9, 2008
Today’s Comic: “Freedom has a downside”

Have not done one like this in a while, and I like to get a little strange here and there, so there you go.

36 Responses to Today’s Comic: “Freedom has a downside”

1. Draxin says:

That is considerably more depressing than I was expecting. :P

• Moeketsi says:

Fish might be offensive, and he might be iroinc, but one thing he is for sure is unfunny. But if you’re in the mood for a good not-laugh, I’m told he has a website full of em.

2. TPNDrew says:

Wow… strange indeed. Somehow endearing to my morbid side, though.

3. Dane Bramage says:

hrm… that has connotations on many levels.

interesting for you. not too funny.

4. Bearbutt says:

Bah to the naysayers! I like it… although admittedly I’m not sure why. It’s just goofy. :)

5. Dane Bramage says:

let me follow up my comment by saying that i’d bet that so long as the naysaying is done respectfully, scott prolly enjoying seeing how people interprate his art.

this piece is fairly ambiguous, and so lends itself to very many different views. this is in essance, what art is all about.

nice job… well executed… just not funny.

6. Dane Bramage says:

poo… forgot to spell check my last post. gah!

7. Bearbutt says:

I think it’s funny cuz it’s goofy. But that’s just me. I’m a goofball. No hidden meaning… no interpretation. Just goofiness at its finest.

Inflatable boy comes loose from his filling hose.
    Inflatable boy flies blissfully over the city.
    Inflatable boy snags on a spire.
    Inflatable boy deflates & becomes one of those nondescript things blowing in the wind from the top of a random skyscraper. Seattle has one of those. Doesn’t every city?

Simple. Goofy. Funny!

8. Scott says:

“hearkens back to the Dubya/conservative rhetoric that we heard a lot of at the beginning of the war.”

Wha…what?

9. Dane Bramage says:

@Scott: because… the freedom that balloon boy enjoys endangers him and exposes him to his own destruction; hence, freedom has a downside.

this is the same thing reasoning that has allowed the current administration to erode some of our liberties. because our freedom endangers the country. i also hear it from neo-cons i work with. they would rather have a reduction of civil liberties at the promise of a safer country than live with the dangers that an open and free country allows.

obviously (by your reaction) that is now how you meant it, but that’s what i thought of when i read it. i find it to be very dark. not at all as others have viewed it.

which, again, i think is the essence of art. different reactions to the same piece by different people.

10. Valek says:

To quote The Great George Carlin “We don’t have freedom, it should be called privileges, We have the privilege to say what we want, if the government doesn’t like it, we cant say it”

I forgot which era that was but i remember seeing it, and promptly “LMAO” afterwards.

by the way scott, nice comic.

11. Scott says:

wow…really, Dane?

Want the honest truth? It was about the freedom of a dude that used to be tethered by an air hose, breaking free, floating away and feeling the freedom of that, only to snag on a pokey thing sticking out of the top of a building, and deflating…ultimately sadly flapping in the wind.

Your geo-political take surprised me, but I am well aware of how that can happen. Some people see Jesus in a tree stump. :)

(hope you know I am just playing around with you…but I am surprised by your take a little bit.)

12. Thaed says:

Awesome! But you knew I’d like that one. Of course, I think you should do this 80% of the time. I am probably in the minority however.

13. Scott C. says:

Reminds me of the Joe Hill story Pop Art.

14. Novan Leon says:

@Dane: A guy-man-baloon-person floating around and getting stuck on the tip of a skyscraper reminds you of president Bush and conservatives?

Wow. I’m sure that would make for a very interesting psychoanalysis by some psychologist somewhere.

15. Dane Bramage says:

tee-hee-hee…

just like a painting, one must take the image AND the title into consideration when developing a critique. the whole “freedom has a downside” is prolly what did it for me. again… i also work with people that are terribly conservative and narrow minded.

much like your rant about Utah, scott. people that’s POV is so narrow… so limited that you just want to explode. people that actually think it’s better for the government to wire tap than be “privileged” as Carlin might say.

and… no worries scott. i don’t take anything you say seriously ;-P

16. gaudemaus says:

This reminds me of that Twilight Zone episode where the banker survives a nuclear fallout and finally gets to read all the books in peace. But as he sits and opens the first book his glasses fall off and break…poor balloon guy.

17. Brian D. says:

What this reminded me was of the Mario Galaxy comic Scott did where Mario launched himself into space and couldn’t breathe.

Just without any type of context or dialogue, people just make up their own conclusions.

So you opened up Pandora’s box of people doing just that. From the morbid to the humorous. :-) Way to go Scott!

• Ian says:

My mommy tried to all those silly things to me and I didn’t undsterand it at all! Now we are gonna have 3 training sessions every day! YAY FOR TREATS! YUM!-Luna

• Gerco says:

So I watch pretty much all day and I’m tnhiking wow the airs aren’t being over scored and the judges are doing a pretty fair job. Then incredibly, unbelievably, like no f-&!NG way T.B. Beats T.L what, WTF. That was just shameful. End of story..PS I have a question, dose anybody know?Kellys match up with the kid, dose that pop out of a computer or come mathematically somehow? Or is that up to Quicksilver?

18. mercator says:

Scott has had a few dark comics of late.

*is not going to psychoanalyze* Wait…

Is that Jesus in a tree! Look!

• Julia says:

They wanted to give Dane Cook the key to the city, but nbdooy could remember who was supposed to be the sober guy holding all the keys so instead they wrote You Rock! in crayon on a cocktail napkin.

19. mercator says:

Seriously though… Maybe you need to take the family for a little vacation? You seem bummed, at least in the small view of your world we see.

I can relate to the stress your turn of events with your daughter has brought. I have similar issues, made worse by the fact that as the “non-custodial parent” (custodian seems the wrong term for nurturing a child!), I have no say in how she is treated for her issues. I just have to make sure she takes the pill of the week when she visits me. To rebel and not give her the meds could have serious side effects, so I can’t even protest, except to tell her mother I hate what she is doing and be ignored (except when I send the check).

All you can do is what you can do, and keep your faith in God, the universe, or whatever you believe in, as well as keep on loving and nurturing her like the good father you are.

“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”

20. Scott says:

All is well…hard stuff just makes us stronger. But yeah, the comic probably reflects my mood a bit. :)

21. gaudemaus says:

Apache Chief is gonna have a hell of a time getting down balloon lad. How many “Inyuk-Chuk’s” do you think it will take? =^.^=

22. Clive says:

My take on the comic was exactly the same as Dane’s.

It’s not one of my favorite’s, but it’s nice to have a different sort of comic every once in a while.

23. Eric says:

“Just one prick can take the wind outta ya.”

(I just made that up.)

24. Dan says:

I’ve been stopping by for a while, this is probably my favorite post so far. Different and interesting.

25. Princess Luvie says:

I’m not going to get involved in the whole political aspect of some of the comments in regards to this strip… honest.

I’m just here to say that, at first, I thought he wasn’t wearing pants.

Pants are highly overrated anyway.

Viva la Ken Doll Balloon Boy! ;)

26. zorniki says:

We all feel a little deflated sometimes, don´t we? And that´s the time when some of us are better left hanging around somewhere. Alone, to reflect on life. With a beer. :-D

I really do like that one!

27. Valek says:

*farts for three seconds* SEE SEE I DEFLATED HAR HAR!!!

yeah i just had to do that.

Gotta have one fart joke!!

28. Fraggy says:

I had the same things going through my mind as Dane did. The comic alone wouldn’t have triggered that, but the title did. And as we now know, Dane wasn’t the only one. Insofar I don’t think it’s as far fetched as Novan makes it look :)

29. Sam says:

Heh, and suddenly it becomes clear how people find hidden messages in songs played backwards and shows on Nickelodeon. All interpretation. Scott clearly had a very simple concept in mind – strictly what is drawn – and people are able to find more. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, but it does sort of inadvertently explain other similar situations (how people can make a connection between the Dark Side of the Moon and the Wizard of Oz, for instance). Very interesting.

30. Dustin says:

Personally, for me, this is one of the most poignant webcomics I’ve ever seen, because it is so applicable metaphorically to all forms of “freedom.” Beautifully done.