Today’s Comic: “Fishing for Ronald”

December 31, 2008
Today’s Comic:  “Fishing for Ronald”

picture-34

So, another weird one. Eat it. Don’t get it? Sheesh…nothing gets past you!

33 Responses to Today’s Comic: “Fishing for Ronald”

1. Matazuma says:

hum..
    *look’s sideways*
    *shakes his head*
    *squints*
    *back’s up*
    I don’t get it

2. Scott says:

There’s nothing to get.

3. Shaymus22 says:

Positively delicious.

4. Craazy says:

+10 for doing what you want with your own comic
    -9 for it making entirely no sense at all and being neither funny, nor conveying any message

I’m sure it accomplished its point which was to simply draw something random, but as a fan I can’t help leaving the comic feeling like there was no comic this Wednesday at all.

5. Retro says:

Craazy, it made you think and you posted your thoughts, I think that’s what the comic is suppose to do.

6. grimphoenix88 says:

I enjoyed it!

7. Angeblich says:

“to fish for Ronald” – an occasion where you do something boring and don’t expect something to happen, but hope for the million-to-one chance, something really exciting COULD happen.

8. Altaru says:

well, I thought it was totally funny. Very offbeat

9. NSMike says:

I love it, but I don’t know why.

10. randy says:

i love the sky and clouds in this piece

11. riksost says:

I think it’s awesome. I love these, keep ‘em coming. But the question remains – will Ronald bite?

12. JaFO says:

What’s next ?
    Ronald sleeping with the fishes ? ;)

13. Chuck says:

Well I hadn’t heard the phrase before, so thanks to ‘Angeblich’… and have to say now that this comic is awesome.

14. Jacob says:

The serious look on the guys face is great lol.

15. Eric says:

How avant garde. If you look past the first impressions, you see a personality struggling to break free of labels and limits. Yet in order to do this, one must understand where the popular world has defined the limits. Still if one has never understood the labels and limits applied to them, they have no choice but to seek out those who live by popular standards. The methods of inquiry, which are equally unbound by the popular mindset, are usually met with suspicion and judgment. However, the one seeking to break the limits that they cannot understand is already free and doing little more than fishing for Ronald.

or not.

16. snarfleblat says:

I like it. Did anyone else immediately think of the Secret Service? You know they’re monitoring our catches.

17. Eric says:

Actually, the first thing that came to my mind was that nemertea from a previous blog entry and my comment of “Not good for fishing.”

18. Ben says:

Did you know that Ron Fish was the drummer for legendary guitarist Dick Dale?

I didn’t either until I searched for “fishing for ronald” which lead to this

Which turns out to be a pretty awesome site.

And that’s what I got out of this comic!

Also +1 for you doing your own thing Scott, but -1 for it seeming like you’re throwing it in people’s faces lately. I know that’s the natural reaction because this is the internet and people throw crap at people all the time. But it just feels like a guy walking around in a clown suit because he wants to and then shouting “Hey look at me! I’m in a clown suit!”

19. Robert says:

for some reason it made me laugh. Good job.

20. Salvitore says:

We’re going to need a bigger boat. You know….considering we don’t have one at all…umm…nevermind.

21. Land_Knight says:

All I could think was “Is he using the right bait for lawyers? Shouldn’t there be more chum?”

22. Tom says:

Here’s some food for thought for you. How about a series of what old folk will be doing for recreation in nursing homes in the future.

You know like D&D with alzheimers. Painting your cane to look like a magic sword.

23. Icesnake says:

Never heard the phrase before. And shouldn’t Ronald be wearing a yellow balloon suit, whiteface, huge shoes, and an orange fright wig?

24. yarris9999 says:

very unique and interesting, but i kinda agree with craazy

25. Dan says:

I’ve enjoyed these “weird” ones more than the others , I think. Keep it up, Scott. I laughed out loud at this.

26. Gerry Conway says:

I love the expression on Ronald’s face… “Are you f**king kiddin’ me??”

27. Scott says:

Sorry. Gotta call BS on Crazzy and people who see this as he does. Where were you guys when I have done this sort of non-joke illustration type image countless times in the past?

Suddenly you feel like there was “no Wednesday comic at all”? Whatever…read it or don’t.

Why do I keep reading comments?

28. I don’t really understand why you let these comments get to you after all this time. It’s the Internet. Take a quick gander at some popular video YouTube comments and then be grateful for what you have here.

29. Scott says:

I have a better idea.

30. Seth says:

This comic made me LOL and I have no idea why. The expression on the dudes face is priceless.

GREAT COMIC!

31. Magic Pixie says:

I have mixed thoughts about these abstract comics. It doesn’t really feel as if they belong in this particular site, which is devoted to mostly geek media. I started coming here at first for the video game comics, which is my first impression the site would be about when I saw the name, MyExtraLife.

Even though I don’t care for other non-video-gamey comics, such as the ones about Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Shmalecula or whatever kind of content, they do belong here… I understand its full geek media and not exclusively gaming media.. But as for abstract artsy comics… they haven’t done a thing for me.

It’s always interesting to see what’s currently in the artist’s mind, but it looks like the kind of content that you would want find on the artist’s personal blog. This site looks like its more for geek news, geek world events, geek gaming, geek media, geek podcasts etc.

On a side note, I don’t think many of these abstracts are meant to be laughed at. Scott has said this many times on past comics, such as the morbid ones he has done. They look as if they are here to make you think rather than to offer a quick chuckle… Yet, there are many who just say they LOL and ROFL at the “randomness”. I bet if Scott made a Picasso-art-styled-comic, you’d still have a handful of people that would find it funny…

I think the problem is that there is an unbalanced dividing in the fan-base, between casual geeks and super geeks.

The super geeks are easily amused and there are just so many of them here. They laugh and worship most of your content, even though they do not understand your content. These are the people who ROFL at Family Guy. (Hehe. I just bashed Family Guy, implying that it’s an unfunny show worshipped by super geeks.)

The casual geeks are the ones who see these abstracts and go WTF? But the numbers of the casual geeks make up a smaller percentage of your fan-base (or at least the ones that comment anyway) and from what I’ve seen, get shot down by the massive hordes of super geeks when making any criticisms, whether constructive or not.

The good news is that if you entertain the casual geek, you’ll entertain the super geeks anyway, since they like any content you spit out. This little tip is probably key into fixing things but….

In the end, what do they say? “It’s Scott’s site so he can do whatever he wants and if you think you can do better, than you make it. GTFO!”

Partly correct, it IS your site and you CAN do whatever you want. But if you can’t take the heat from the comments, you might as well disable them… Although, the comments just might redirect to your email…

But lastly realize one thing. You can spit top notch content and feel like you’re at the top of the game, but statistically, you cannot possibly satisfy 100% of your fanbase. There are probably near perfect masterpiece movies and films out there, but they are never going to get that 100/100 score. When you are an artist, you get both positive and negative reviews and just have to deal with it.

32. dan says:

Kill the comments, Scott.

33. Scott says:

yeah… I think I am done with comments. Just more work and worry than I care to deal with. When people like Magic Pixie decide they want to talk to me like they are my mother or something, that is the time when I need to just be done with it. I’ll leave em up for topics where it makes sense.