Today’s Comic: “Carlin in Heaven”

June 25, 2008
Today’s Comic:  “Carlin in Heaven”

My little tribute to George Carlin. Enjoy.

EDIT: For those of you who think this is an affront to Carlin’s atheism, or agnosticism, watch this video…the key is around the one minute mark.

81 Responses to Today’s Comic: “Carlin in Heaven”

1. Slayeric says:

You just won the internet today, Scott! Grats! :D

2. Fett101 says:

Yeah… Not the best way to commemorate the passing of a hard-line atheist. Kinda insulting to Carlin, really.

3. Scott says:

Then you are in no mood for irony, sir. Spare me. You might also do some homework. He has said on many occasions, including his relatively recent appearance on Inside the Actor’s Studio, that he is not an atheist, because they are no different in his mind that religious people.

4. Esta says:

Funny. Set as my desktop now.

5. andrew says:

To quote Slayeric you sir have just one the interwebs today, nice one :)

6. andrew says:

dam typos meant WON not ONE.

7. Kyle says:

I really like this comic. It made me feel good inside, since Carlin is one of my heroes.

8. He was my favorite stand up comedian. I got so many dates using his lines :)

9. Yorrike says:

“He has said on many occasions, including his relatively recent appearance on Inside the Actor’s Studio, that he is not an atheist”

Sorry to correct you Scott, but he said he was an agnostic, which also means he either doesn’t believe in any god or doesn’t think that knowing the answer to the existence of god is knowable. He certainly rejected any and all super natural claims by the organised religions.

But in saying he was an agnostic, you have to ask, was he an agnostic theist or an agnostic atheist?

That being said, funny comic : )

10. Scott says:

No correction there…He says he is none of those things. He never wanted to be lumped into any category or group. One would argue that ultimately, that is a group all by itself.

11. Umani says:

Thank you Scott, this one is great.
    RIP George Carlin, you will be missed dude.

12. Griss says:

i think George would find it funny.

13. Clive says:

Agreeing with Griss here. George would find it funny, and so do I.

14. Slayeric says:

You know, for a comedian who once told Kevin Smith he wanted to play a teacher who beat babies, people sure do worry about someone taking offense over something as vile as Geroge Carlin going to heaven and getting a doobie from God himself. I mean, god forbid we remember him though HUMOR!

15. Slayeric says:

Corection in one of my sentences: “…to play a PREACHER who beat babies…”

dang typos

16. evilhuman says:

Ditto Slayeric. Excellent strip. I think he would have liked it too.

17. infernoacid says:

Good joke, if only heaven was truely like that. ( Who knows?)

18. Falseblue/Andrew says:

You are setting yourself up for hatemail Scott ;)

19. Sokkratez says:

Great comic. Haters make me sick to my stomach.

20. Eek says:

Leave it to the Internet to find something to complain about in everything.

21. Tuanzilla says:

Off-topic: Fitty bucks say Scott is going to change the logo in less than 2 weeks.

Who wants in?

22. Agent Eggroll says:

Just keep on keeping on Scott, dont mind what others say about your work.

Rest in Peace George.

23. Carlin would find this funny. He had a sense of humour.

24. Porkins says:

How else here thinks Peter looks like Tommy Chong?

25. Porkins says:

I meant to say Who

26. Lifeisaglitch says:

Brilliant

27. Dan says:

Sadly, heaven has a zero tolerance policy on its 7 forbidden words. Words like failure, sin, dilly-dally.

28. Eric says:

I’m sure God would be saying “Someone made fun of Heaven???? Well, $#@* them!!!” (end sarcasm if you didn’t get that in the first place)

No. If God is all He’s made out to be, then no. He’d be laughing with everyone who’s laughing.

I mean. Come on. Anyone who thinks this is real is thinking small. You don’t have a body any more. What was pleasing to you down here ain’t gonna mean anything once you’re gone.

I only balk at the pot reference given to kids, but meh. It’s not my choice to make regarding other people’s kids. It’d also be a shame to find out that there’s a Heaven and that everyone’s suffering from severe psychosis from millenia of reefer.

My faith tells me either oblivion, dispersion or regret/satisfaction awaits me. So, I guess it makes little difference in the end.

Regardless what anyone believes: The effect one has while they’re alive is the *only* thing we can really count on. It’s the only thing we have proof is true. Everything else is Faith. Given his effect on life, I think that’s something about which Carlin can definitely rest easy.

Don’t leave the world a better place. Leave the world with better people. Build a beautiful home and populate it with thugs, you’ll have the place trashed in no time. Build a lean-to and populate it with great people, you’ll end up with a mansion eventually.

29. Jimmy Dean says:

Except Carlin said many times in his stand up routine, “there is no god”. In my book that’s atheism.

30. Scott says:

except for the many times in interviews, in video audio and print, he said he was not. :)

31. w0m says:

Geesh; Lighten up people. There is no way Carlin would be insulted by this, even if he was hard line athiest. I always saw carlin as the guy that poked fun of those who would get bad about this sort of thing.

32. Jimmy Dean says:

Fair enough (about 1 minute in):

33. Scott says:

Thanks, Jimmy Dean. Oh, and I love your sausage. Big fan.

34. Jimmy Dean says:

Now that’s a little too personal for a public comment. ;)

35. Valek says:

in that he said he wasnt atheist, and when asked if he was agnostic, he said he wasnt anything. Then quickly went on to the part about his view on jesus, if you doubt that rewatch Jim’s post.

Besides, whatever he believed in, does it change his humor, and the fact that he says (not in that interview but in one he did with Starz Insider) that any comedy that has any farce-like joke at religion, is funny to him.

So yeah, he probably wouldve chuckled at scotts comic.
    Rather then waste more space on what he WAS, since hes dead now, focus more on celebrating his life, and how he influenced us.

36. Dane Bramage says:

i bet they got good weed in heaven.

RIP George.

37. Lifeisaglitch says:

@Scott

First i was like ._. then i loled ^O^

38. Bearbutt says:

This should win some kind of award… I mean… If there is any kind of media award for cartoon art, this is the clear winner over anything done in the last 100 years.

39. Scott B says:

Everyone on here who’s saying this is “offesive” or that Carlin would be upset…

why?

Internet complainers don’t know why they’re complaining. It’s like there’s a little voice that’s blind and deaf just shouting out “complain now” with no concept of reason to why they have the “opinion” that they do.

What exactly is the reasoning behind this being “wrong” or “an insult”? It’s a comic representing an ironic situation based on beliefs by someone we should be paying respects to. And this pays respect to him by continuing the joke. He certainly made a lot of jokes About going to heaven and God & Jesus and death. What’s the difference here?

Again, WHY are you complaining? Reason please.

40. Novan Leon says:

Scott’s exactly right about Carlin. Even though I wasn’t much of a Carlin junkie, his disdain for the conventions of modern society was well known. This would include placing him in any group for the purpose of “using” him in an argument or for any other reason. If anything, this seems right in-line with Carlin’s humor.

41. Novan Leon says:

Scott B, in my experience the online Atheist community gets is very defensive about their “non-religion”, to the point where they feel threatened by anything that supports the validity of God or Christianity, in this case even a stupid comic. The reason they complain is because they feel like they’re being “attacked”, or see someone “attacking” a fellow atheist, not because they actually respect Carlin’s personal beliefs.

42. Dutch JaFO says:

The only person in the world that would know if he truly would have been offended by this comic is also the one who can’t answer that question any more.

I think it simply is a funny comic.

It’s sad to see how the combination of religion and comedy always brings out the worst in people.

43. The_Kal says:

George Carlin was embraced by the atheists mostly because he reflected the way we feel about organized religion, but made jokes about it. Would he be offended by Scott’s comic? I think he would be offended that people thought him a sissy and unable to take a joke.

These pseudo-intellectual people that act as if life is a kinder garden where everyone has to get along and be friends at all cost are tiresome and annoying to have to deal with, especially on the internet. Carlin has faced death threats, has had his show ripped to shreds by critics, he has been arrested and he has done more drugs than most of us will ever hear about on the news. To suggest that a joke about his beliefs, on the internet, would reduce him to tears is insulting in itself.

RIP George Carlin, one hell of a guy.

Great comic Scott, keep it up.

44. George says:

This is your best yet!!!!

45. Tordenflesk says:

“I think when you die, your soul goes to a garage in Buffalo.”

46. Samantha Jane says:

Scott! That roxors and I think Mr. Carlin would love it!

47. mattzilla says:

I think George would have loved it.

He was a hell of an entertainer and it’s too bad that he’s gone.

Great job Scott.

(BTW agnostic theist and agnostic atheist are both corruptions of the true meaning of agnosticism, they’re both inherent contradictions.)

48. MoonWalker says:

He didn’t like to be labeled, but he didn’t believe in god, and thought all religion is bullshit, so… yeah…

Anywho, I don’t think he would be insulted by your comic. If anything he would be pissed, because he really hated all the tributes to dead celebrities ;)

49. MoonWalker says:

One more thing, Scott. Don’t be surprised that people are pissed about this comic. It surely LOOKS like the expression of YOUR religious beliefs, and this is not in the spirit of George Carlin.

“Keep thy religion to thyself” dude ;)

50. The actual comic and the picture in the post are slightly different. Why?