To better days…

August 13, 2013
To better days…

I hate when Nintendo is on the down swing of their often rocky market position. I love there games. I have more positive memories regarding Nintendo games than I do from anyone else. I still feel like a kid when I fire up Super Mario Bros. I grin like an idiot when I play a Kirby game. I sink hours into cozy bedtime sessions with Animal Crossing.

So it makes me sad to hear all the horrible recent numbers regarding the Wii-U. 3DS is going strong, but man, they can’t catch a break in the living room. I hope they have another up-swing in them still. Time will tell I suppose.

So yeah, this comic has no joke. Sorry about that.

26 Responses to To better days…

1. Indigored says:

Personally, I think they need to trash the Wii label all together. I bought the Wii for the family. After a week it became our monitor on when it was time to dust. So the adage “once bitten:. I won’t go near a Wii U.

2. The Wii U is actually a fun Nintendo console, just needs more games. :)

3. Bowman says:

This brought a tear to me eyes. Thanks for this comic Scott! Here’s to better days!

4. JD says:

There might not be a joke in the comic, but the answer is in Billy’s hands.
    Nintendo created a bizarre new peripheral with the original Wii, they knew what they had and championed it until everyone wanted one.
    With the Wii U they’ve got the new gizmo, but they have no idea what to do with it, they can’t sell it and they have completely squandered the ~12 month head start they had on Sony & MS this generation.
    As a life-long Nintendo fan my heart bleeds.

5. bexwhitt says:

somebody needs to explain to Nintendo about ergonomics and what RSI is

The Wii-U controller makes my arms ache just looking at it.

• Jack Fox says:

I thought it would too, however it’s one oft he more comfortable controllers I have used. It’s a LOT lighter than you may think.

I love the Wii U, Monster Hunter, Mario, Lego City, PIkmin 3. Been good games so far, I can’t wait for the future Wii U games, and I hope it does better later on when the more major games are released.

• IanC says:

Its a very comfortable control. In fact the only bad point about it is how often you need to charge the bloody thing. Completed New Super Luigi U today, and i think over the short time it takes to complete i must of charged it 3 times.

Great piece of DLC though. Rock hard in places, but short.

Anyway i love the Wii U. I think Nintendo will pull through this.

6. Aw, Mario. I’m sure things will pick up for you again. :D

7. Jaramide says:

Problem is that the Wii was a console that really stuck home with the people that never play games usually. But as anyone who has seen the console vs game sale numbers for the wii can tell it never sold any games. The casuals bought the wii and got wii sports and then they were happy with that. They never bought another game and most of the console saw a couple of months use and then were never switched on again. With the Wii U they tried to walk a middle road. Trying to capture the same audience that bought the Wii even though that audience is probably not interested in more consoles, and at the same time appeal to the core gamers. In the end making a console that appeals to almost no one. Why buy a new expensive console when you have one or even two already that can play the same games? In japan people buy consoles for a single game at times but that doesn’t fly in the rest of the world and they don’t even have that single system seller in japan!
    This has been such a sloppy launch from Nintendo. Also doesn’t this remind anyone else of the Sega Dreamcast launch?
    Maybe this is the last real console we see from Nintendo.

• Tony says:

Except Dreamcast was a better system?

• Vake Xeacons says:

Also keep in mind, as console makers, Nintendo and Sega are worlds apart. Sega (apart from the Genisis) never had a successful system. Contrariwise, Nintendo (apart from the Virtual Boy) has never had a flop. A slow year is hardly a reason to abandon a system.

8. Tyfighter77 says:

“Ask your parents”? wow you just made me feel pretty old. I forget that some people my age have kids old enough to be in high school – I don’t even have any yet.

I was 10 when my rich cousins got a Nintendo (no one called in the NES in those days). I couldn’t believe my eyes. Here was Mario from donkey-kong looking so good it was almost like a cartoon.

9. Tony says:

Nintendo’s problem is capturing 3rd party vendors who want to create quality games for their system. I can’t tell you the last BIG 3rd party title for their system because Nintendo makes it a pain for 3rd parties to develop for it.

Now look at Sony & Microsoft. Most of their triple A titles coming out are 3rd party releases.

I’ve bought all the systems up to the Wii but my heart and faith in Nintendo jumped ship after the N64. It’s sad that when I want to get a quality gaming experience, I feel like I have to go all the way back to the SNES. (Currently playing Chrono Trigger again)

10. Sam S. says:

I dunno, I think this fits the “comedy” bill nicely. You’ve got your setup, which while sad, puts us in the right state of mind. Then you see Billy, just a kid who wants to play a game, not be dragged into the weirdness of marketing and corporate success.

We’re all Billy. It’s sad, sure, a little dark, but it’s a punchline. Call it a melancholy laugh.

11. Karma says:

It’s too late for the WiiU. They were banking on being first to market, but with the XBone and PS4 coming out this November, WiiU sales are going to drop from their already dismal numbers. Nintendo needs to put out a decent game to sell consoles before then, not some HD Zelda remake, but a good, new title.

• Vake Xeacons says:

Had nothing to do with being first. That’s where the problem is: they released too early. Couldn’t be helped cause the Wii’s seriously been needing an upgrade for a long time. But people need choice. Some are holding out to see what the Xbox and PS4 can do. If you don’t like Nintendo, that’s your choice, always has been. But once gamers and developers see what they’ve got, many will choose to stick with the Big N.

12. lurker says:

too bad nintendo games didnt come out of the 90’s in terms of graphics. When ever game looks like its from the LEGO series – cute yes – but gets old fast.

All the Wii is now is a glorified platform to watch Netflix these days.

Personally Nintendo needs to die the death it should have a long time ago

• A Nanny Moose says:

Maybe not die off, but secede from the home console market. They really are strong in the handheld market.

The best move I think Nintendo could make at this point is make a 3DS addon for the Wii U, like the Gameboy Player for the GameCube or Super Gameboy for the SNES. Have both screens on the tablet or top screen to the TV and bottom screen to the tablet. Sure, there would be the lack of 3D effect, but that is almost 100% aesthetic.

• Cynthia says:

I hadn’t really nocetid problems with my regular controller.. My mine has a good sensor bar who knows. Or maybe it’s more noticeable in the war games and such but I’ve had no problems on RPG or Sports no lag or mis-maneuvers. So I’m not in a terrible rush or need for the M+ especially since it doesn’t work on the older games.

13. Vake Xeacons says:

As I keep saying, once the the Xbox and PS4 hit shelves, the Wii U will have some real competition, and things will pick up. The problem is all these stock market jokers writing about Nintendo’s “failure”. Don’t listen to them. They’re not gamers. The race hasn’t even started yet, so relax.

14. http://anastasiaaffiliate.go2cloud.org/SH24
    These women are real. Going to visit a girl is the only way. I encourage you to use
    AnastasiaDate when you start your search.

15. I am an 8 bit man myself and sometimes a 16 bit. After that, I’m all tapped out. Just can’t beat classic side scrolling action.

16. MrMushroom says:

Lets not forget the iOS and Android Market, so many devices that can play lots of games, hell you can get GTA Vice City for five bucks on the play store! The world has changed and you can’t just launch a device like the Wii-U and not expect people to compare it to their tablet and go, nah no thanks!