Superblam

June 24, 2013
Superblam

I saw superman, and even talked about it at length here, and came away not hating it, but not loving it. And feeling a bit like I got an alternate universe version of Superman, which in it’s way is a nice change from seeing the same origin story told over and over again.

Then again, there are things in that movie, some of which the comic is referring to here, that continue to be very hard for me to swallow as a fan of supes.

Anyway, if you’ve seen the movie, the reference surely gives you pause. Or if not, you are dead inside. Ok, maybe not dead inside. Just a little jaded. :)

Oh, and save your comments and emails about this being the “underwear” suit, not featured in the movie. I like the old one, OK??? ;)

Oh yeah, one more thing: 1.5 weeks to Nerdtacular. BOOM!

26 Responses to Superblam

1. Joseph L says:

you know, die hard Man of Steel fans will troll you for NOT having the correct suit on him. I personally HATE the new suit and when I tried to explain to a buddy that this movie was an alternate universe, he got all butthurt and was actually yelling that No it was the real universe. Talk about not listening to reason.

2. Jason says:

I’m not bothered by the “underware” suit. I’m bothered by the fact that you gave Superman a moose knuckle. I can’t unsee it now ;)

3. Hammond Chamberlain says:

This sums up my feelings exactly.

4. AcuZod says:

OMG you’re right. I didn’t notice it at first, but I can’t unsee it now either.

5. Grammar Check says:

I’ve rid the city of its greatest threat.*

it’s = it is
    its = possessive

• applejuicefool says:

The City: It’s greatest threat. It works.

-AJF

• Sixcolors says:

In the case of it’s and its, the apostrophe followed by “S” doesn’t mean the same thing it does with other words. “It’s” is an abbreviation of “it is”.

So basically, you just said, “The City: It is greatest threat.”

• applejuicefool says:

Yep, I know. I was thinking it kinda worked if the intent is to say that the city is its own greatest threat (and Superman in the strip did indeed kind of rid the city of itself). That was my joke. I guess it still doesn’t *quite* work…

-AJF

6. Juddson says:

Though I don’t recall specifics about the movie fight, I’ve seen it said in other discussions that Superman continuously held back while in the city and always moved the fight upwards away from the buildings. Only in space does he really let go with a powerful one two combo. It’s Zod that keeps bringing it back down to the ground and Zod who keeps carelessly destroying everything. If true, it lends credence to his having to end the fight the way he did.

7. FlameFlash says:

We don’t see the post crisis reaction though, it cuts to “some time afterward”. For some reason I have a feeling he isn’t just standing proudly in his underwear (or not, as the case may be :p ).

The majority of the damage done was done while he was busy trying to stop the machine on the other side… not while fighting after all.

8. TakiLoeege says:

Tak tak Tak a to paaaan tick tak. A to jest jego znak :)
    Fajna stronka, pozdrowionka dla wszystkich.

elo elo elo elo elo http://www.mk-bannnnek.com :D

9. I wanted to create you a tiny note to be able to give many thanks as before for all the nice secrets you’ve featured in this case. It was certainly wonderfully open-handed of you to convey openly all some people could have sold as an e book to end up making some bucks on their own, most importantly seeing that you might well have tried it if you ever decided. Those good ideas likewise worked as the good way to comprehend someone else have similar fervor just as mine to find out a great deal more on the subject of this condition. I’m sure there are millions of more fun occasions up front for individuals who check out your site.

10. Jack Fox says:

Yeah the movie was not the best movie in the world, but it was (in my opinion) the best Superman movie I have seen. I enjoyed it, despite the fact that I don’t really even like superman!

11. If I had a “Super Bulge” like that, I’d wear my undies on the outside too!

12. Scott says:

Man of Steel was amazing I don’t see what people’s problem is with it honestly. They took an out dated worn character and made him amazing again. More people care about Superman than they have in the last 30 flipping years. This movie has people talking ALL over the world about SUPERMAN. Good bad or different, THAT’S GOOD. Any conversation about Superman is good for the character. It’s more than what was happening before wouldn’t you say? :)

13. Raphael says:

Your comic sums up my feelings at the end of Man of Steel perfectly. I wanted to love it, to go fan-girly over it, but.

Also, love the underwear on top. :D

14. JohnClok says:

Nice post. Thanks. Mapitogrowmedium

15. I love it! I haven’t seen the movie yet, but too often superheroes get away with billions worth of property damage. I think MAD Magazine was probably the first entity to ever address that issue in the old days.

Speaking of the old days, the first (Christopher Reeve) movie bothered me at age ten for deviating from the comic, but at the same time they made Krypton look really awesome (if sterile.) That’s where I first mentally justified something as being in an alternate universe.

The battle of the bulge? Methinks Supes enjoys his job a little too much, heheh.

16. Xusia says:

We’re talking alternate universes and nobody managed to reference Bizarro yet. So I’ll do it. Here goes: “Maybe he’s Bizarro Bizarro Superman” – PS I haven’t yet seen the film, just couldn’t believe nobody had made a Bizarro reference.