Sometimes we forget…

July 29, 2013
Sometimes we forget…

Been quite a bit of stink thrown around the web in the last couple days regarding the blowout Phil Fish had with some followers and press, which resulted in him canceling FEZ II (not long after it was announced at E3, and then the internet blowing up a second time about what led to the mess).

It got me to thinking about trolls, and how easy it is for us to “picture” in our heads who these people are, and what their story is. It’s good to be reminded that, often times, they’re in a totally different place than you are, both in terms of maturity and anonymity.

So that’s all. Just try and keep it in mind. Chances are, the fight you’re having is often with some kid hiding behind a cool MegaMan avatar, a kid who’d never pick that fight with you in the same room. :) (Oh, and you can watch it being drawn here.)

In unrelated news, here’s a cowboy I drew.

23 Responses to Sometimes we forget…

1. Abe says:

Reminds me of what happened to Justin Carter.

• MrMushroom says:

There’s a limit to how much people should say on the open web, Justin Carter is an example of what happens when you challenge that limit. People say stupid things, we all have. But when you say some really stupid things on the net and expect no one to object, you mad a seriously big mistake. Besides, who saying you are going to shoot up a school is not funny, not in the least. But I feel his punishment is far worse than the crime.

2. Traci D. Haley says:

I LOVE the cowboy (as I love all your portrait drawings — they are truly the best and I’m so bummed that I missed out on that giant Walter White you were selling ages ago), but I have to admit, the name Umbridge will forever conjure Harry Potter images in my head, so I’m not quite convinced I can see that cowboy with that name ;). Still… LOVE it… and I’d love to see what kind of story you’d come up with if you tried to write a western.

3. Los says:

Let’s be honest, as much as we’d like to think these trolls are young children who have no idea what their actions cause in other people the truth actually lies somewhere in between. There is a subset of people who have disconnected communication online as real communication. Somehow it’s just become a game of who can be the most shocking, obscene, perverse, fanatic, or any other number of extremes.

4. Hi there, i read your blog occasionally and
    i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of
    spam comments? If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you can advise?

I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so any help is very much appreciated.

5. Sixshot says:

I didn’t bother to read into the whole fallout with Phil Fish. But given his attitude towards others, even for those who aren’t even hostile at heart, it’s not a big surprise to me that he would cancel Fez II. And to be honest, I’m kinda glad that he cancelled it, for I do not want to hear another crazy outburst that he’s had with some of the folks on the social medium.

It’s one thing to have an opinion of. But when one comes off with a douchebag/a-hole like attitude… well, you’re bound to get a negative response a million times over.

What he does is none of my business. And it’s his choice if he wants to ditch it. He already got his first project done. But let’s say he didn’t cancel it. What then? I wouldn’t buy the game anyway. I gave him my first and second support (XBLA and Steam). But by then, I had already decided I wouldn’t support him afterwards after that stint he had proclaiming an opinion of his about games of certain origins. He needs to learn to grow some skin and learn how to deal with the mindless twits who lurk to insult others.

6. Anthony says:

This dude Fish needed to pack it up and move on. Actually making a game is hard enough but gamers are not going to cut anyone any slack. That sucks because 99% of gamers never have and never will know what it’s like to create something but that’s the reality of the industry. This guy didn’t have what it takes to live in that world. The fact that he had a full on web melt down and took all his toys home will make it very difficult if he decides that he wants to make another go of it in the future. If he does some how convince anyone to take him seriously in the future I hope he learns to ignore the haters. All that matters is that the fans think what your doing is worth paying money for your stuff so you can keep making more stuff.

7. Scottix says:

Ya it is easy to get caught up in it and I thought it was childish to rage quit like that. He gave in to the trolls and he let them manipulate him.

• Osvaldo says:

I have not checked in here for some time as I thgouht it was getting boring, but the last several posts are really good quality so I guess I will add you back to my everyday bloglist. You deserve it my friend.

8. Foxlore says:

Wait you mean to say that Twtter trolls are just kids and not actual Trolls???…gah…my fantasy has been shattered. ;-)

9. Will says:

Ah anonymity… the “liquid courage” of the internet.

• Donnerberg says:

You’d think so, but people prove time and time again that they can be just as bad on sites that use their facebook and twitter names.

10. Frankie D. says:

So this isn’t about the current attempt to get twitter to do something about threats of rape?

• Nico says:

You have brought up a very serpub points , regards for the post. The great object is, that every man be armed. Every one who is able may have a gun. by Patrick Henry.

11. Human behavior is a fascinating thing to me. But mean people will always be mean.

12. Falos says:

Publishers need standard online skin thickness or greater, otherwise the 500 daily doses of “You’re gaem is shit” will, uh, hurt their feelings.

But that’s just like all public positions that deal with masses, so it’s even older news than “there are douchebags on the internet”

YOUR ALE TASTES LIKE BOOTWATER, BARKEEP.
    THEN I’LL GIVE YOU THE NAME OF A SHOEMAKER.

13. Xusia says:

I wish I could get a reply on Twitter…ANY reply :-(

14. Vake Xeacons says:

If they talk like a kid, I treat ‘em like one!

15. John says:

Twist: Jimmy is his son.

16. Brian D. says:

The problem was that the trolls were going “too far”. By tracking down his family on the internet and looking for personal information. It’s not that they were just making childish comments, they went after his family as well.

17. Pedro says:

//1904 வர டம க ச ய ல நடந ததன வ ள வ க ஜ த ய அழ ப ப ன என ற ச ல ல ய ர ந த ல ம — ப ர பனர கள மட ட ம என ற அட ப ப க க ற க க ள க ற , //The originators and cudsotian of caste system are brahmins. Among all brahmins, the Tamil brhamins are the most orthodox. They cling to the system, calling themselves brahmins, whereas others stopped calling them kshtariyas, vaishias etc.Therefore, it is important to attack Tamil brahmins only if you want to attack the caste system.Periyar had thought correctly. Thanks to him, today, we see the younger generations of TBs not so orthodox. Next genearations will completely give up the holier than thou nonsense passed on to the generations by TBs.If the nonsese is revived, then another Periyar is a doubless a certainty.