No ELR, so we did this instead: Today’s Comic: “Irony Man”

April 20, 2008
No ELR, so we did this instead: Today’s Comic: “Irony Man”

Here’s what happened in a nut shell. Obsidian had to drive himself to the hospital tonight before we recorded. Some horrible chest flu thing that was making it really hard for him to even breath. Plus, Brian’s son is sick with something he got from a tick. Scary stuff. It just felt wrong to try and record despite all of that. I am sure that O will be fine, and so should Brian’s son.

So instead, Brian and I recorded us collaborating on the latest comic together. And we recorded the whole thing. Idea to finish…and everything in-between. You can see the whole thing right here.

You can see the show page on uStream here.

40 Responses to No ELR, so we did this instead: Today’s Comic: “Irony Man”

1. Cool alternative,
    thanks for putting something up there to fill the void this week.
    All the best to O of course and Brian’s son,
    I hope they get better soon.

• Jairo says:

I’m really imsrspeed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it’s rare to see a great blog like this one today..

2. Moobie says:

Brian’s son and O are in our prayers, get better guys!

3. Sanova says:

this was soooo fun thanks guys!

4. Bearbutt says:

“Nobody will care. Who will care?”

We will, that’s who! This stuff is fun for us, the viewing public.

“What is the value of recording this?”

Cuz it’s fun, and fun is of great value.

5. The Progn0sticator says:

Get better O and Brian Jr.! Keep us updated Scott.

6. Oh, wow… good luck to O and to Brian’s son… I really hope they both get better soon!

7. Bearbutt says:

The side perspective camera is waaay awesome!! Please use it for shows now & then.

8. Fred says:

Something that he got from a tick?
    That can be pretty serious.. I hope O and Brian’s son gets better.

9. so did anyone catch the joke “…maybe its because they lead this industry they don’t iron out the driver issues…” while he was drawing the iron. thats awesome! good one scott :) keeps me laughing and coming back for more.

10. wolfgang says:

Wow I hope everyone will be OK!
    However, this is awesome. Also it means that BRIAN HAS MADE A COMIC. In a way. It’s a historical moment on record :D
    Of course now we will want to see this kind of thing again .. and again .. and again. We are ravenous this way :(

11. Sad for the sickness…

but awed to see the drawing and thought process on screen in real time (instead of speeded up 30x faster)

What is common to you Scott is fascinating to us trying to learn.

Thanks.

12. Garfunkle says:

Simple and different. I like it =)

Here’s hoping that everyone gets better!

13. Norbert says:

Can’t wait to watch this and best wishes to everyone. ;)

14. Yit says:

Man. The whole ELR crew has being getting sick lately! Be safe guys!

15. Smartguy911 says:

Grrrrrrr, there hasn’t been a good elr in 2 weeks, well I hope O and brains son gets better so they can have a full group show next week ( I hope…)

16. binaryspiral says:

last two elr’s have been great, despite the change up – it’s quite refreshing.

Anywho – good call Scott. If O and Brian’s son are reading these – hope you get better very soon.

17. Scott says:

Smartguy911: Really? I loved last weeks.

18. Mdclay says:

Woohoo! you went with the comic title name that everyone was screaming in the chat room during the artwork :)

19. I came up with this idea on Saturday (Sans the iron man mask). I can’t believe this. I was going to make a video of me doing a dance with irons to to song “Iron Man”, and now it’s all ruined!

20. Liraco says:

I guess Smartguy just really misses O.

I hope they all get well (has your cough already gone away, Scott?) I really enjoyed seeing you guys do this, but I arrived late and thought this was the after-show instead of the ELR replacement.

You guys should do this more often (maybe make one in this way with O too). I also see you caved into the chatroom and went with their screaming suggestion. ;)

21. Craazy says:

Loved it. This would be perfect for it’s own show but I know how the time thing goes. I also want to put in a vote for the side cam…it’s very good and it’s nice to see more than just the screen or the right half of Scott’s face. All the best to O and Brian’s son, get well soon!

22. mcdonalds says:

i like beans

23. Ben says:

Great comic, I find it sad that I got to the “Got it?” panel and didn’t get it… then the light turned on. Monday morning, so difficult.

24. Pong Ding says:

I liked last weeks show.

I got to hear Brian D! I like O but he tends to run away with the shows :)

25. John says:

Showed the comic to my girlfriend. Quote:

“Scott Johnson broke my soul!”

Thanks again Scott!

26. Zorbane says:

That cartoon is awesome. Cheesiest thing I’ve seen in a while haha

27. Icesnake says:

What’s the latest on O and mini-Brian?

28. Samantha Jane says:

*hugs for O and Brian’s Son*

29. Pong Ding says:

Glad to see O is better.

Any update on Brian’s son?

30. Kairinnia says:

Dang, poor little kid – Please give us an update here on Brian’s son…living in the south myself i know how it is this time of year when the ticks start invading – rocky mountain spotted fever and lyme disease and that sort aint nothing to mess with…poor youngun :-(

31. Thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts and prayers.

Ethan seems to be doing fine. He has been on some really strong antibiotics for the past couple of days and his skin has started to clear up. He no longer has any fever and seems to be feeling better in general.

He will have to continue to take his medicine for the next 8 days and as long as the symptoms do not come back he won’t have to see the doctor again until after he has finished his meds.

The scary part about RMSF is that it stays with you. So he could have a relapse months or years from now.

Once again I want to thank everyone for being so thoughtful it helps a lot when you have so many people that care.

THE ELR CROWD IS THE BEST!

Brian D.

32. wolfgang says:

Great to see the creative process unfold there, with all the wit and the fert and the Brian, and the surprise turn of events towards the end. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing Scott.

33. Paper Effigy says:

Hah, that was fun. I like watching the thought process when making a comic. And it’s even better with the retarded commentary of the chat! We all have to do something like that again. Though I did miss the end, cos my internet got cut off.
    Funny how there were more in the chat room than usual. :D

34. thekingofjester says:

So what’s up with the change in the title?

as for the sickuns, I’m glad to hear that they are on the upswing!

35. MXC says:

Gah! I can’t get it to load.

36. secutor says:

Please make it downloadable or part of the elr-itunesfeed. That would be great! No chance watching it online…

37. Scott says:

dont have a way to…its recorded remotely and only resides on ustream.

38. MartijnL says:

As usual I’m a bit late but best wishes to O. and Brian’s son.

Glad to see both getting better :)