It has that effect

February 28, 2011
It has that effect

Still not quite over the Dead Island trailer. So, in order to get myself over it, like I try and do time to time, there is a comic in there to create! Create it I did. Enjoy!

Want a print? Cheap and easy. $9.99 for a 12×18 inch signed high quality print, shipped anywhere in the world.

12 Responses to It has that effect

1. Dave says:

The perfect antidote for Hulk watching Glenn Beck :p

2. Biff says:

The trailer was good, I’ll give you that, but cry-worthy?

You’re a big baby, man.

• EricHVela says:

Gotta agree with ya… somewhat. The trailer was unexpected, once. It was still fascinating twice, to see it with both time-lines in mind. After that, I was over it and back to my cynical “the game will fall woefully short of the trailer in the game-play experience.”

Still, I have to wonder if it would stick with me more if I had a child of that age — the desperation involved with the protective instinct only to helplessly watch (in reverse) every single moment of a child’s demise, and ending the scene back at the first touch of hope for survival, a futile hope despite all they tried to do. That’s gotta be an uncomfortable thought for parents, the idea that they might not be able to save their child in every situation.

It might be different for those with older kids who have passed a number of parenting trials without life-scarring incidents (not ignoring that parenting is a life-changing experience either way), but what about those who are still facing the unknown and witness a possibility that could have a real-life analogy (and a whap-to-the-head for those who can’t see any analogies to the scene)?

There are no extra lives here, no save-game points and no amount of coins allow replays. That could be a scary enough thought for one’s self and more so for the one’s who love someone and must protect them.

• Biff says:

You got a point that it has the potential to get to people who have children that age, so it could hit home.

But then again, Scott is scared to death of Silent Hill among other games, so the “Scott’s a girly-man” explanation still holds.

3. Ogdent says:

Love this comic, really nails it.

4. Fritz365 says:

Scary movies and games mess with me too. ~hugs Hulk~

5. Donnerberg says:

Never seen anything from a game that was quite so powerful as that trailer. It genuinely disturbed me, had me in awe of the movie-feel and made me feel teary. Calling it now: it’s a masterpiece.

6. Dfereck says:

Quite disturbing, not the comic but the fact that I watched this video before checking on this comic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv-SQc6LA2E

From the guys who make red vs blue, geoff watchs the video and you get to see his reaction, he has a young daughter.

7. AvengerZS says:

awesome. This comic really sums it up. I know what you mean to, hard to get over that masterpiece. However I seriously doubt that any game will ever be able to capture all the power and emotion of that trailer. The trailer will forever be a masterpiece but I have no expectations for the game to follow that up. It just can’t!

But back to the idea of “getting over” that trailer…. to quote Fahrenheit 451, “We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?”

• Milla says:

May God bless you and the people that help these anlmais. believe it or not thats the way that God attened for man to do, see God never ask man to do anything he doesnt do himself, why do you think one reason God made us to not only love and have something to do but to take care of us, and God made the anlmais for us to do the same for them (Genesis 2:15) I thank you for doing the very thing that God attened for us to do all along and I know that God is smiling down on the help and the heart that you exstened to help the least in this world ( Matthew 25:40-46) and I belive that not only talking about people but that talking about all living creatures cause anlmais are under us (Genesis 1:25-28). but the point that Im trying to say is that your doing something that God attened for us to do all along and I happy that God sent that dolphin your way to help her in her time of need and I belive in my heart cause the kindness that you showed to this anlmais God is going to give you blessing to you cause of the gift and blessing you gave to this animal and that another chance of life and you watch and see cause what you done for this anima,l God is going to blessd you in life. I wish Michael Jackson was still here cause if he saw this little animal and saw what all you done for her, I believe he would help you all raise more than enough money to help anlmais like her, but it nice to know that there still people that out there that want to make a diffrence in another life weather its animal or man. God bless you and you family and just like you have your arms around that dolphin for when she need help and love best believe that the way God got his arm around you in the spirit, and for u all to get her another fin to swim in her time of need, God gives you angels to protect you in your times of needs. God bless you all and I know God is looking down with a smile on his face and in his heart for taking care of the least of these, God bless you all for helping these anlmais and may you all (animal and people) be blessed.

8. Donnerberg says:

Yeah, there’s no way a game can capture the feeling of that trailer, and judging from the gameplay they’ve shown, they’re not even trying.

That’s sort of irrelevant though. The game can be as horrible as it likes, but they’ve still contributed with an awesome trailer that anyone can see and have their mind blown from.

9. Ian says:

Thank god it`s not a typical FPS or survival horror zombie game…. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-11-dead-island/711224