Generational

August 6, 2010
Generational

Watched some seriously vintage animated cartoons with Nick the other night, and he just looked a little lost, and a bit freaked out by it all. That stuff is awesome in so many ways, but kids today are not quite sure what to do with it. So yeah, there you go.

33 Responses to Generational

1. Paintguy says:

lol.. I did the same thing with my kids.. found a DVD with Betty Boop & Felix the Cat. Turned it on and left the room. A few minutes later my daughter in a slight panic said to come check out the TV… the color was broken.

2. Darrell says:

My kids love ancient animation! :D
    If the characters have a chunk out of their pupil like a missing pizza slice, then they’re automatically awesome.

3. Austin Kestler says:

He is sitting freakishly close to that TV.

4. m00ngoat says:

If you want to freak him out, make him watch:

5. Dan Long says:

This is just awesome. One of the best I’ve seen anywhere in a long time. So subtle and awesome. Srsly

6. d says:

Agreeing with Scott and Dan.

7. Now that’s a time-travel experience.

I can imagine a similar reaction at some point in the future:
    “Dad? How did they watch such flat pictures?”

8. Jeppe S says:

The first panel is absolutely brilliant!

9. Punkrawk Bbob says:

Ah… Back in MY day cartoon network should huge blocks of old cartoons. Caught me up with the classics very fast (im 26 and feel like I was raised on Herculoids, Jetsons, Scooby Doo and Wacky Races). Hanna Barbera cartoons are greatly missed.

10. Heh, I miss Thundarr the Barbarian, mostly because it’s not on DVD yet.

However, Netflix has Blackstar: The Complete Series. Too bad there weren’t many episodes, but it brought back some childhood memories. Gotta love those stock sounds!

11. I can imagine how scary such antiquated stuff is. Yogi Bear and the Flintstones are scarily old enough for me. Some of us live in the moment and move forward with advancement, and so looking at stuff that predates our own childhood is absolutely uncanny, as is looking at stuff that is actually from our childhood.

Just seeing movies from the 90s is enough for me to raise an eyebrow now (though 90s movies are definitely the best).

12. dave says:

That expression just says it all!

13. Mistrblank says:

I’m 30 and the frosty the snowman and rudolph stop motion christmas specials have always freaked me out.

14. Sean says:

What Scott has beautifully illustrated goes beyond the age or lack of color in the cartoon. Kids today don’t watch animation, they watch drawings that occasionally move. There is no “illusion of life” in what they consume so there’s a bland safety and portions of their brain that aren’t even engaged by what they’re viewing.

These older cartoons from experimental eras in animation, where animators were learning and stretching and discovering have a believable microcosm of their own and an often menacing undertone to them. There’s an implied, but not really delivered, notion of “anything goes” in today’s SpongeCarly, Hanna-Bob, whatever but cartoons made by real animators like these have an unpredictability and insanity that is difficult to express verbally, because they touch a place in the brain inaccessible to outsourced junk written by unemployed network sitcom writers.

• Punkrawk Bbob says:

dude… Cartoons are still good. Old cartoons were just zaney. If anything they just matured a bit (watch Avatar: The Last Airbender).

• Sean says:

Um, no thanks.

• Punkrawk Bbob says:

Any reason? You really only lose out by blindly hating on entertainment. Being resentful of what is obvious progression means you’re just stuck with everything that already exists and won’t ever be able to branch out.

• Punkrawk Bbob says:

Im not saying new animator is better. Better is relative term. I’m just saying that you’re not dishonoring dead men by enjoying new entertainment. Chances are the animators you hold so dear would be watching the new stuff and be making the stuff you hate now if they were still around.

• Sean says:

I know good animation when I see it. I am an animator. There is almost no decent animation being produced today. Most animation you see on television isn’t even done by anyone trained or skilled! It’s produced in overseas sweatshops in a purely mechanical way by people who can simply draw lines.

The problem, like a lot of modern things, is that standards have been so eroded there are people who mistake what they have for the result of “progress”.

• Taiza says:

Formerly I posted at seevarl sites (Redstate Hotair NRO Ace of Spades to name a few). Now I only comment here since I find myself in agreement with almost everyone and everything here. Thanks for all you guys do to make this site so timely and interesting. Not to mention the fun we have with lib’s prog’s Marxists Communists but then I repeat myself. Thanks again.

15. LaVaGoD says:

I love the look of the first panel. I think you nailed that old classic look.

16. wit says:

All this one needs is a clinky piano in the background. LOL

17. McFeely says:

The one in the middle looks a bit like Randy Deluxe :D

18. It looks pretty interesting to me. Actually I didn’t expect such a good cartoon

19. Emilly says:

…// //Lets welcome quota based on pauolotipn ratio. When quota based on p.r comes into being, there wont be room for complaints from any quarters, including the now-quota-less people.When the whole pauolotipn gets covered under quota, there wont be any question of merits.// //ந ய யம என ற வ ர த த க க ப ர ப பனர கள க ஞ சம ன ம மர ய த க ட ப ப ர கள என ற ல – இந தக கர த த ல தங கள க க உடன ப ட உண ட , இல லய ? என ற க ற வ ண ட ம .இத தவற என ற கர த ன ல – அதற க என ன க ரணம என பத ந ர ம ய ன ந ஞ ச டன வ ளக கவ ண ட ம .