Generation Gap

March 14, 2008
Generation Gap

gen-gaap.png

Whew…Nick PWNS me in this game. He is really good, so good in fact, that he inspired this little comic right here.

PS These people don’t actually look like us. The man, however, does look like special guest star, David Riggs.

35 Responses to Generation Gap

1. TheBlunderbuss says:

You know you visit Scott’s Extralife too often, when you see a new post with a “Description coming soon”

2. Loknar64 says:

Gah, how can you play with the sideway’s wiimote? Throwing, grabbing, rolling, and jumping are too hard! Wiimote + Nunchuku is way better with Gamecube coming in first because we’re all used to it.

3. Sath31 says:

Veeeery interesting…

4. TheChao says:

that kid looks evil

• Andrus says:

or to post comments This is also a testEdit – Hmm, that one went throguh Gamertag – Diluted DantePSN – Diluted DanteFinal Fantasy XI (Server: Bismark) – Giles (Kingdom of San d\’Oria)www.onscreeninstereo.co.uk

5. salius says:

i might buy a wii this coming week just so i can play brawl. can someone stop me please?

6. Stormspire says:

@ TheBlunderbuss
    Get an RSS reader.

7. Akaji says:

Buried for inaccuracy. The youngin’ would know to use the Gamecube controller.

Err, wait, this isn’t Digg… :D

8. Lifeisaglitch says:

That is one sinister looking son you’ve got there Scott :)

9. Ransom says:

@Lifeisaglitch
    Haven’t we seen art of Scott before? He looks nothing like this.

10. ScottC says:

My wife and I bought SSBB last night. It was like watching a Japanese game show. Lots of lights and sounds, with no idea what’s going on. We didn’t know how, why or if we won until we saw the screen with the money after a match. We had fun though!

11. Eric says:

Heh. Think that’s bad? Wait until pointing devices are controlled by the brain through a small device that’s clipped to the back of one’s collar, and while it takes geezers years to train themselves to use it, it takes kids only a few minutes.

But! Turnabout is fair play. They will have to deal with learning how to interpret sensory signals sent directly into the brain that their kids will be able to easily grasp.

“You can’t teach an old dog new tricks” is partially true. Learning is typically easiest when you are young. There was a study regarding the ability to detect slight inflections in different languages and they found that as long as the child heard the sounds before they could speak, they were able to recognize the difference in the sounds later in life. However after the ability to speak with some coherency begins, the ability to learn to distinguish the sounds seems to diminish or stop altogether. (Like ee versus ih in English to someone who only heard Spanish or b versus bd to someone who only heard English. It’s also why many ped.s say not to use “baby-talk” to infants.)

I’ll have to Google the article if time allows today.

12. Adrian says:

Whats a spare tire doing on your wall ?

13. Scott says:

i keep it there just in case..you never know when you might need it.

14. windman says:

The looks on their faces are awesome – great comic Scott.

15. eugaet says:

Seriously, get thee a Wavebird.

16. Lifeisaglitch says:

@Ransom

I know just having a bit fun on Scott’s expense last time i checked nick didn’t look like that either.

17. Rodrigo says:

I think Nick should have his own comic character…

The Town Cryer!

18. Max West says:

GC controller ftw, other than good comic :)

19. Liraco says:

GC indeed, I really like having a jump button AND being able to direct a quick smash attack with the C-stick (granted you can pretty accurately do the same if you enable motion controls for the wiimote+nunchuck and have it feel even more visceral.)

Nice comic, I know how that feels, a little cousin of a friend kicked our butts 3 vs 1! Then again he’s gotten pretty serious about gaming as he’s gone to tournaments for Halo, Smash Bros., Gears of War and who knows what else.

20. Adrian says:

I played SSBB today with my 4 year old cousin, and he wooped my ass !

I can played all kinds of fighting games from mortal kombat to street fighter, but SSBB is a whole different world for me….

21. Len says:

I have no idea what is going on when I watch that game. It was worth the $1.15 they paid me to get it.

22. Dan says:

You should make like Peter Griffin. Just as he is about to win, scream “Your mother and I are getting a divorce.”

23. mercator says:

OMG the facial expressions are PERFECT.

I have 12 year old daughters and it is amazing how I badly they can decimate me at anything but NCAA football (because they hate NCAA football).

24. Jixamn says:

i like how many people were like “sideways wii mote…are you insane!”

25. Scott says:

Plays great on the mote I think. I kinda prefer it.

26. brian_d says:

Kids will always have the upper hand since most of their entertainment playtime is spent playing on the console way more than Adults. It’s all about practice.. practice…practice.. :-)

27. Dan says:

Damn kids with no lives you say? You sound a step away from, “Well I would be awesome at X if all I had to do was play X all day. But I have a job, kids, responsibilities. I have better things to do.” Sort of like the kid who gets made fun of too much who decides to go to his “other friends who ‘get him’ better.” Unless it is an online shooter, those TF2 kids have too much time.

28. Minski says:

I can hardly contain my excitement for this very game. Goddamnit, Europe. You fail me yet again.

29. brian_d says:

DAn – Ahh.. but that’s not the tone I think I put into my comment. No IF-X-THEN-Y statements in there. GOTO LINE 4
    END

Heh.. BASIC humor anyone? :-) It’s all about training your brain to react to certain stimulae, like any of the fighting styles. You train yourself to react and come to quick solutions as you’re in the moment.

30. Akaji says:

@Minski
    Isn’t the Wii region-less? I thought you could import foreign games without having to mod the Wii… could be wrong though.

• Ranjitha says:

I like the comparison to srptos here how there’s a certain sequence of motions that’s difficult to put into words that goes into every athletic movement. And those movements feel different on the inside than they do on the outside to boot. It made me think about the axiom that great players don’t make great coaches perhaps because there is so much of what they do that is great that cannot be put into words? And does that mean that the genius of a great coach is to be able to put into words that which ordinarily cannot be thus expressed? Or maybe there’s a line between the journeyman athlete and the true athletic genius a good coach can put succinctly into words the physical scripts and sequences that can turn a journeyman into Very Good, and knows when he’s got a genius to pretty much just create situations where he or she can be great. So Mendoza and Brown will slant this way to occupy these other blockers and let Harrison get one-on-one with this guy, and then Harrison will um beat the guy like we know he will. Right. And we’ll look smart. I also wonder about the internality and experiential contingency of athletics and religious experience. Both seem to involve things that cannot easily be put into words and are dependent on the inner lived experience nobody can teach you how to have a transcendent experience any more than than can teach you to be an instinctively good athlete

31. Freddy says:

ComicPress is pretty good, there’s also StripShow, which is based on ComicPress but slightly different. I’ve heard quite a few people like using it. StripShow seems to get released more often also, I still use ComicPress since I’ve just got the layout how I like it, but, if you’re converting I’d at least take a look at the other option.

32. James says:

This is just like me with my dad…he refuses to play against me, he’ll only play if we’re on a team against a CPU. Which means we always win. Unless of course he dies, leaving me to square off against both CPUs. :P