Epiphany

September 16, 2013
Epiphany

Recently I had the great pleasure of hunting down a household item that seemed to be in short supply. It’s rare that I have to enter a Kmart and a Walmart in the same day for any reason, but this was one of those days. I of course tried Target, Home Depot and others first, but when it came down to it, I knew home plate was in either of the “marts” and I had to check.

And that’s when I noticed something. The Walmart was just as dirty, just as hollow and depressing, just as soul crushing as the Kmart…yet, there were people all over that place, while the Kmart was virtually empty…this despite the fact that the selections on display were near identical, to my eyes anyway.

Just an observation. I tweeted about it that day, and so today, I immortalize it in digital cartoon form.

18 Responses to Epiphany

1. coffeebot says:

How depressing. When I was little there was the supermarket (boring!) and then….K-Mart, a wondrous world filled with toys.
    How the mighty have fallen.

2. Vrobaby says:

How I miss the days playing on the Atari in the back of the KMart while my parents looked for new socks for me. :P

3. Bayoubilly says:

I grew up in the sticks so any time we had a “come to town” day, it was an awesome trip even if we just went to the grocery store! As a kid, my mind was blown by a “Super” Wal-Mart lol.

4. Yep, sometimes you just have to shop those places. Someone once said it’s okay to shop at “Came-Apart” as long as your friends don’t see you leaving with a suit bag.

5. Vake Xeacons says:

And yet Big K never received the the backlash as Wally World did.

6. Jack Fox says:

This is something I noticed too!

The K-mart i live near is much closer than the Walmart so I go there on occasion however it’s just this big empty void of sadness…

Sometimes has good Video Game Deals though.

7. Brian O'Reilly says:

Walmart has a lot of practices that upset communities that KMart has not been guilty of. One of the worst is the building of bigger, better, Super Walmarts leaving the huge, hulking building in another part of town that used to house the regular Walmart. Small towns cannot generally fill this must space and either must pay to demolish it, or allow it to stand empty and blighted. Had Walmart had a better solution for dealing with there empty stores small towns may hate them less.

8. Matthew Pfaadt says:

I completely agree with this comic!

Now I’m just trying to figure out why it looks like the main character in this sketch is running past the other. Does Scott go around town running past people while yelling these funny yet deep philosophical one liners?

9. Charles says:

Up in Alaska, K-Mart pulled out. We got the Wally and Target now.

• Josh says:

Don’t forget about Fred Meyer’s!

I was in the Wal-Mart in Fairbanks when a drunk guy in a fork lift rammed the power lines supplying the store, and the Troopers ordered an evacuation.

Good times.

10. very true, I work there and refuse to shop there. I don’t make much but i will pay alittle extra to shop somewhere else. I tend to go to kmart its not much more expensive and if you go there the store has only like 5 other customers in there lol. idk about you but i like to go where ppl aren’t treated like shit. And yes the store has went to crap in the last year i hope they go under.