Do what you want, when you want.

November 14, 2011
Do what you want, when you want.

I love love love this game. Completely immersed. Expect to be spending good time with it for a very long time to come. And yeah, the game gives you a crazy level of freedom. Kinda blowin my mind.

22 Responses to Do what you want, when you want.

1. Sir Flyingbob says:

and you’re pants!

2. Tunaonrye says:

Oh I really want to pick this game up! I’ve heard nothing but good things. Great strip Scott! Can’t wait to hear your review on Final Score!

• Sreerag says:

Things like Best PC Exclusive of the Year is subjective, but when you make a deiscion like Best Esports of the YEAR you can easily make this deiscion from an objective point of view. How about the fact that Starcraft 2 generates 5k+ viewers easily, daily from top notch Starcraft players AND casters. How about the fact that Starcraft 2 and E-sports start to get recognition in Forbes, not to mention Day-9 is featured in the Forbes’ 30 under 30 list. How about the fact that MLG came from a joke of a tournament where 13 year old kids play CoD into the biggest US Continental tournament? Those don’t sound subjective at all.I listened to all your reasons I’m sorry reason (singular) about why Tribes won (Oh, and kudos to the ones who voted SC2, this site does have hope) *PVt. Douchebag’s Prebuscent Duke Nukem voice* And the reason is /Douchebag voice Oh I picked Tribes because I was thinking about the future of esports. Ummm ok, good thing this award show is about what’s happening in 2011, as in now? You talk about the future as your logic and reasoning, but Pvt Douchebag scoffs and questions why Starcraft even made the list. I mean at least IGN and other awards attempt to explain why they chose their shitty best picks. But you didn’t want to be like them in the first place, right?

3. NeuroMan42 says:

AWESOME! I hated Oblivion and gave it to Brian, but I loving Skyrim so far. Took down some witches today.

4. CDRaff says:

Skyrim is AMAZING I can not stop playing.

I am playing as a Nord Ranger. Light armored, great with a bow, a sword and shield, and with good alchemy. I use no magic other than my shouts.

How is everyone else playing?

5. MattFightsBears says:

Hilarious comment. Because it’s so relevant. :D

@CDRaff: I’m playing Heavy Armor, 1h weapon, Restoration spells in the off-hand (no Destruction for me) and quite proficient with the Bow. Nord as well.

6. I can’t believe i never heard of Skyrim or Elder Scrolls till the 10th!!!! It’s my perfect game! Vikings, Alaska & Dragons!!!!!!! Nice comic, Scott! :)

7. Ceiynt says:

I’m about 20 hours in, playing a Nord Bow wielding, flame throwing, sneaking backstabber. Although, it still plays very similar to Oblivion and FO3/NV. I don’t really see any more freedom in this then I do the previous games.

8. Cyn says:

There’s nothing quite like the squishy feeling of Skyrim in the morning.

9. Sphinkette says:

Scott dropping the ‘S’ bomb…. Always a pleasure :)

10. Another good strip—made me laugh!

I haven’t seen Skyrim’s predecessors, but yesterday I watched our guitarist playing it. I’m stunned by the level of detail and the forest (or rather constellations) of variables.

If I ever pick up that controller, I know it’ll eat a big section of my waking time. Heh heh.

11. Oh man this was great Scott. Looks like your really getting into Skyrim, that’s awesome. So would you rate this higher than your Uncharted 3 as being game of the year for you?

12. Torrey says:

Never played the other Elder Scrolls game, but Skyrim is quite fun.

13. Masterwabbit says:

I’m a level 10 imperial who runs with Shield & Mace for the most part, uses dual magic a good amount of the time, sneaks with Bow an Arrow when needed, and punches chickens to death because it’s really funny.

… No, seriously, you can finally be Steven Seagal in a video game.

14. JaFO says:

I do find the story a bit lacking.
    I play as one of them cats. Always carrying too many weapons as I’ve got no decent place to store them. Usually axe and shield, but not afraid of frying me some bandit meat.
    Anyone know how to harvest human meat ? I am afraid I might start to like it if I taste a bit more. Sneaking we do of course, wouldn’t be a cat if we didn’t now ?

Then again interesting/weird stuff does happen, like that time I got drunk at the inn in Whiterun and suddenly woke up only to discover that I’m supposed to get married …

Did I mention I hate spiders ?

15. Vake Xeacons says:

Can you do that in Skyrim?! In your pants?! I have GOT to get this game! (and if you can’t, they SO need to make a game where you can)!

16. Thor79 says:

ROFL

I decided to buy this game solely because of this comic and the way you’ve been talking about the game. Now I just have to find time to actually play it. Too many games!

17. Icalasari says:

Minecraft lets you kill with swords, kill with fire, kill villagers, kill a dragon with an axe, and has a fully destructable world :D

18. MXC says:

I think that Saints Row the Third gives you more freedom.

In Saints Row the Third I can drop kick people as a toilet, drive around in an Atari 2600 tank that fires grey pixels, go streaking, car surf, jet surf, take on an entire army with nothing but my fists, dive feet first through a cars’ winshield/side window to kick out the driver and or passengers, get plastic surgery to increase/decrease my crotch/breast size as well as give myself one of seven different voices-one being a zombie-, put whitewall tired on literally EVERYTHING that’s not a tank or a motorcycle, drive a car down busy streets with an angry tiger in the backseat clawing at me to increase my courage, collect blowup dolls, drive down the street listening to the Venture Brothers theme song, beat people up with a giant purple dildo, basejump, have midair firefights, and all other sorts of crap I haven’t discovered yet.

• JaFO says:

Sure … but Skyrim’s world is huge by comparison.
      I’ve explored all 17 (?) districts in SR 3 in one weekend, discovered a ton of activities (such as those *eh* dolls) by pure accident before the story even told me about them.
      I have barely explored one province in Skyrim and while the caves themselves are pretty similar the side missions are pretty diverse.

Of course it helps if you have a car, but the diversions are pretty minor compared to Skyrim’s sheer endless amount of caves and dungeons to discover.