Distracting

April 4, 2013
Distracting

I really wanna try these things. But I swear, there are gonna be more weird new accidents when they become the norm. Or, will they even be the norm? Seems like one of those great cool gadgets that might not actually be all that practical. What say you? Do you plan to roam the streets with one of these strapped to your head, and have your friends never know if you’re listening to them?

34 Responses to Distracting

1. Andy says:

I think its great technology and an achievement. I really do. Personally, I just really don’t see where Glass fits in my life and how I consume media. I’ll just keep tilting my head slightly downwards to look at my phone, like the tech philistine I am… :)

(opinion subject to change when I actually see one used in real life)

2. Darrell says:

Hey that’s our new car. You tryna tell me something? ;)

3. Alexis says:

My gut says it’s the start of something big. Google’s largest obstacle is no longer technology, but culture: getting people to accept it.

I’m ready to strap this thing to my face. “But you’ll look like silly,” folks protest. Pffft. I don’t care — I’ll embrace the different look. Geek pride, I say.

4. Dylan says:

One of my favorites you’ve done in a while! Made me laugh, good show sir!

5. Lord Zeon says:

Why do you think Google’s been working on self-driving cars?

6. Moobie says:

Somewhere George Orwell is looking upon all of this and shouting… “I TOLD YOU THIS WOULD HAPPEN!”

7. Ralff says:

Lulz. Also–see the rear-view mirror–that’s a form of google glass we’ve had for decades.

8. Mathanugg says:

Must have been using Apple Maps

9. Phil says:

Spider Jerusalem glasses!

10. Jack says:

I would like to combine the Google Glass with the MYO. But I can only afford the MYO ;p

11. Brian O'Reilly says:

Google glass will be a staple in business before it becomes heavily used by consumers. There is no end to the potential of this technology. Builders can stand in an empty field and ‘see’ the building they will put their. Contractors can look at naked framework and ‘see’ exactly where the plumbing and electrical should go. Interior designers can place furniture and decor in an empty room without lifting a finger. Technicians can be reading instructions while doing their work and never look away. Google Glass is the future…

…anyone caught driving while wearing one should be immediately shot.

• Had not thought of the business use cases for this thing. That’s a really good point.

• DraftingDave says:

I was thinking it would be great for the Police. Not only are there actions recorded for us, but for evidence, immediate facial recognition, an over view of the nearest available officer for help, overview of nearest officer in need, etc. The possibilities seem endless.

Imagine an officer in pursuit, immediately relaying video to nearby officers.

• Serdal says:

I’ve been surfing onnile more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.

12. I wonder how many people he ran over in the process? Good riddance! ;)

13. SamSproul says:

i never thought about using it in the car…….. and its consequences.

14. So true! Not long ago, the joke was: “The automobile accident of the future will involve one guy reaching for the dashboard microwave to grab a hot pocket, and not seeing the doofus in the other car talking on his cell phone.”

Now we’ll have this to deal with!

15. Sophillea says:

Really loving the comics! I’m glad they’ve gotten more frequent. :D

16. I’d really love to try one out, but my problem is that I’m already a glasses (prescription) wearer. Maybe someday they’ll come out with an option that integrates into my frames/lenses. That would be cool.

17. Kyle says:

I think you’ll find that is Apple maps :P

18. applejuicefool says:

You could have it show an image of what’s in front of the car…that way you don’t wreck when you look down to adjust the stereo or pick up that non-Hostess Twinkie you dropped on the floor.

-AJF

19. Crunbard says:

What about people like us who already wear glasses? Scott you are always saying how terrible your eyes are. Whatcha gona do? Im not putting in contacts for this. But I do want a pair. First world problems I guess.

• That’s a great point actually. People with eye issues are often ignored when new tech like this comes around. I hope this gets some of that love.

• Voldare says:

This is just version 1.0 – There are tons of consumers out there who prefer glasses over contacts and that’s not a market they’d be willing to give up. Our version will come… they have the technology…

• Antonio says:

Certainly I like your internet web site, but you’ve to take a aapper at the spelling on quite some of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I discover it very bothersome to inform you. Nevertheless I will surely come once more once more!

20. Gary says:

Eh… what about cars coming equipped with radios, instrument panels, a/c, cruise control, etc.? All these things require that you take your eyes off the road, at least in the beginning, in order to fumble for the buttons and readouts.

My GPS does more to make me a safe driver than not. Not all technology is a distraction. Perhaps Glass will be like that.

21. I have read a few excellent stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much attempt you put to create the sort of excellent informative site.