Comic: “When in Egypt…”

May 4, 2009
Comic:  “When in Egypt…”

picture-31

Nothing I like more than a annoying American tourist in a far off place, who’s vision of reality is based on the top 40 hits of the 80’s. This is such a man.

13 Responses to Comic: “When in Egypt…”

1. Novan Leon says:

The Bangals, as in the peoples from Bangladesh, or the 80’s group “The Bangles”? If you mean the group, you may want to correct the spelling. Ironic twist?

2. Steven says:

Tourist locations in Egypt get blown up allot. This guy has it coming… :)

3. Scott says:

Fixed. I actually changed it to be Bangles last night, but uploaded the wrong file.

4. jaclimer says:

Nicely done Scott! Am I the only one that heard Peter Griffin’s voice (from the Family Guy) in my head when reading the tourist’s line?

5. grimphoenix88 says:

The best part is the is the guys stash!

6. LMAO! I can see that tour guide as Zahi Hawass–he has enough headaches dealing with the theories about aliens building the pyramids!

7. Lifeisaglitch says:

@Erich

Haha i would just like too have him as the tour guide that would be AWESOME!
    Its totally plausible….like with the economy and stuff :P

8. shabayek says:

Hey Scott,

You seem to have the wrong image about us Egyptians, our tour guides do not look like that at all. Head to flickr and search for Egypt and you shall agree… Your guide reminds me of Taliban figures, we do not have those as much yet !!

But this is not the problem, the problem now is that many people around never heard about the Bangles and how they expressed their feelings about Egyptians in the that song…

Oh, and talking about blowing up tourists places in Egypt, guess these things happen to he who dares to doubt the powers/curses of the Pharaohs… and their grandsons :)

9. VBStrider says:

I have no idea what this comic is about :S

10. Darrell says:

I agree with #shabayek. I worked with a real actual egyptian and they look just like us without all the typical dress of other Arab countries.
    But I liked this one anyway cuz I get the message. :D

11. Jawahunter says:

I… I don’t get it.

I get the song reference. I get the annoying American reference (having worked at a tourist hot spot before). But I don’t get how saying that would be the death of the tourist. If he began to sing the song and do that dance then I could get it. But for just mentioning the Bangles I just don’t see that death worthy.

Or Scott, does the tour guide actually loves the Bangles so much so that anyone even implying that one could hate the Bangles is a death worthy offense?

12. Darrell says:

As a wise man once said… it is what it is.
    Enjoy it for its own goofballishness.

13. mercator says:

Having just witnessed several incidents not unlike this one during two weeks in Beijing, I think tour guides get used to it and just deal with it. Then they take the tour to a “local artist” and split the 10x overpriced item profits as payback.

My favorite is still this one from Beijing:

“What do you guys call Chinese food over here in China?” [note the tour guide was a woman]

“What kind? Beijingese, Shanghaiese, Hakka, Cantonsese, Hunan, Anhui, Sichuan, Guilin, Guanxi, Shaanxi, Xinjiang, Xizang, which?”

“[awkward silence]“