Comic: “There’s no I in Team”

January 15, 2010
Comic:  “There’s no I in Team”

Once again, I have to say, “Don’t get me wrong”. I am actually super stoked for an A-Team movie, and I think the trailer looks like a blast. But that flying tank thing has me a tiny bit concerned. Or possible more excited. Hard to say exactly which.

27 Responses to Comic: “There’s no I in Team”

1. RAZIM says:

Imagine returning to your home to find a tank sitting on top of it, having crushed it… beyond pissed

2. grimmlock says:

In all fairness, they do drop armor out of planes. They just don’t do it with people in it or from such a high altitude. Terminal velocity in a tank is a b*tch.

3. Baraan says:

I for my part am super excited. The falling tank isn’t too much, I guess its quite modest if you try to take the A-Team from the 80s to the “teens”. (There is still no better way to say 201x yet, is there? :))

4. Darrell says:

I’d be concerned if they created a mockery of the original – which would be very easy to do. I’d also be concerned if they took themselves way way seriously.

It looks to me like they’ve found a good balance. So right or wrong, I’m actually looking forward to it.

5. Chris says:

The original was pretty outrageous with some of the things they would build to break out of whatever predicament they got themselves into… it’s an action film based on a fun 80s action show… you can’t expect too much reality ;-)

6. Jamwes says:

I thought the tank bit was the best part. It shows that the movie will be a fun loving action flick. Just remember that the TV show wasn’t supposed to be that serious in the first place.

7. jv says:

There is no “I” in “team” but there is a “me”…

• DoggySpew says:

There is also tea in team, which means this will be a British endeavor.

• Foxlore says:

We could also anagramate ;-) the word into Meta or Meat…. but tea sounds good to me.

• Oleg says:

I would like to say I would like to saye2€a6when buying fish, you geeelariznd the 1 one inch to 1 one gallon rule, but heres the thing, you need to use the ADULT GROWTH. if your buying a cichlid thats a small fry and you want to keep it as an adult, not changing tanks, you would go to ADULT GROWTH , Africans can be 9inches, so you need 9 gallons for each fish. e2€a6.. when you add decorations, you need to use the 1 one inch to 1 one gallon rule, because it takes up the same volume of water as fish.

8. BryanDavidWilliams says:

Why it’s clearly the most effective way to deploy tanks? I was disappointed it was just one tank. This could change modern warfare as we know it Tank vs. Tank in air combat.

9. JaFO says:

I was thinking they’d turn it into a generic action-movie using washed-out has-beens …
    then I saw the trailer and the tank-bit especially
    There’s hope for this one yet even though I really dislike the idea of rebooting old shows into modern movie-settings (anyone dare to remember the Avengers movie ?).

10. jawahunter says:

I’m just curious when we (that is to say nerds, geeks, pointdexters or whatever label you prefer) as a subculture will realize that when remakes and reboots are done they aren’t for us. They just aren’t. They’re for the masses. These are movies which costs dozens of millions of dollars and they aren’t made to be “homages” or “everything you wanted just updated”. They’re made to make money. And there’s nothing wrong with that. The directors of this movie aren’t going to come into everyone’s home and burn their A-Team DVDs (is it even on DVD?) or head to the Hulu headquarters and smash the harddrives the shows are on (again, is it on Hulu? I’m one of those poor Canadians). We have to accept that every remake and reboot is the next generation’s version of said product but that doesn’t mean that the versions we grew up with and love are suddenly lost and forgotten.

And yes, saying you were “worried” about a remake or reboot is the same thing as flat out complaining about the final product. You shouldn’t be worrying about this. You should be working and living a life with much greater concerns than this. Because when the day’s done you can head home and enjoy the original version of whatever it is you love. Let that be your escape. Don’t let it be your worry.

Can we please stop giving everything the scrutiny we do and for the love of God can we stop uttering the phrase “they ruined my childhood”? Seriously if someone says that it should be considered a hate crime against nerds by nerds. We live in a world where the global economy is in the toilet, natural disasters are ruining lives and whole nations, diseases like HIV/AIDS are affecting millions of people across the globe and there are people giving the rest of this subculture a bad name by whining and moaning because something they liked from their childhood was redone at a level they do not approve of. It makes us all look pathetic and spoiled and I’m sick of it.

• JaFO says:

One can worry about trivial stuff like this and have a life …. ;)

• Mattzilla says:

I don’t think being concerned about the possible bastardization of a franchise you remember fondly is incongruous with an awareness of all the horrible things that happen in the world. I think people come to ELR for a break from being so serious, which is why this is the appropriate place to express your feelings about something so silly.

Now if we’re going to be outraged at something, then perhaps it ought to be at the assumption that everyone who frequents this site self-identifies as a nerd, geek, pondexter, etc….. ;)

• I’m with you there. The more expensive a film, the wider the audience they try to reach. Maybe I’m the strange one? I loved the reboots of 007 and Batman. Some of the others I didn’t like, but when I go to a theater or fire up a DVD at home, I’m ready for good, mindless entertainment unless they really pull me out of the movie.

You got me curious, and I see all five seasons of A-Team on Netflix for rent as well as streaming. I remember the series well enough from my teenage years to not want to see everything, but I will watch the first and last episode for fun.

As for ruining one’s childhood, I always took that line as a joke. Ruining the childhoods of others is also my job. Mwahahahahaa!

• Rex Hondo says:

Speaking for myself, if there were one phrase I would be very happy to never see again, it would be “raping my childhood.”

The way I see it, stage plays are produced multiple times with different directors and casts and, quite often, wildly varying styles. Why shouldn’t movies and television shows do the same thing? So long as something different and potentially interesting is brought to the table, I say go for it.

11. Rane2k says:

Haha, a tank dropped from the sky with a few tiny parachutes. Talk about “suspension” of disbelief. :-)

• jv says:

It has also been done before in Ren & Stimpy. I think the quote goes: “Congradulations!! You graduated!! You’re now full-fledged tank paratroopers!”
      followed up by a scene of them falling out of the sky in a tank singing the national anthem. (=

12. Hmm. Looks good to me so far. I’m willing to suspend my disbelief because the tank scene looks original to me. For what it’s worth, it takes things like nuking the fridge and finding old spock in the middle of an ice world to make me want to throw something at the screen.

I don’t think it’ll be worth a trip to the theater, but it will be in my Netflix queue at some point.

13. Andreas says:

… just, pleace no cameos of the original crew! Pleace.

14. iamdcay says:

aw, c’mon. It’s not like the original wasn’t a little farfetched too. I <3 it. Bring it on!

15. Rex Hondo says:

Definitely looks like a fun ride.
    On a minor side-note, am I the only one who thinks Liam Neeson is going for (if he hasn’t already achieved) ultimate movie bad-ass status? This year alone, he’s putting Hannibal and Zeus under his belt. He’s already been a Jedi master, Batman mentor/villain, knights of the Arthurian AND crusader varieties, master assassin, Jesus allegory, and more that I’ve probably missed. If he ever plays a Bond villain and either a Klingon or corrupt Starfleet captain, I think he just ascends into a higher order of being at that point… ;)

16. prion says:

if they abandon the tank before it hits ground it will be a lot more believable

17. Bru says:

I’m of the firm opinion that if they could have gotten away with escaping a plane in a tank, and then shoot down whatever shot down the plane, they would have done it on the show. It’s EXACTLY that sort of over the top stuff that made the show popular.

Of course, the absolute best part of the plane scene is the half second glimpse of an unconcious BA right behind Murdock. I haven’t seen that mentioned anywhere yet, and I actually would have been upset if they’d left that out. It just isn’t the A-Team without having a knocked out BA on a plane.