Comic: “Critique”

June 22, 2009
Comic:  “Critique”

Picture 4

The reviews are rolling in, and they are not awesome. But hey! I am going anyway! Viva la nerd! Comic here.

43 Responses to Comic: “Critique”

1. Durinn says:

Great strip! But in the last panel did you mean, “that shot *of* Megan Fox” or “that shot Megan Fox *is* in those tiny little shorts”? That kind of thing happens to me all time when I do work right before going to bed. =)

2. Eric says:

The best writers only tell you enough for your imagination to create something great or terrible. While Scott has already teased us with the imagery of tiny shorts, he has boldly gone even further and leaves us to imagine the dialog! :D

That or he was tired and missed it.

3. DB says:

Can we have a link to those not awesome reviews?

4. VanFlicke says:

The turtle-necked critics don’t like it? Well, that’s is important to me because I always listen to these critics, they have undying taste for great film….also, that means that I’m going to LOVE IT!!!

5. Rene says:

What else would you expect from a movie than basically is a big advertisement for toy robots? Having written that, judging by the raving Amazon reviews, the new Optimus Prime Hasbro made for this movie seems to be quite good. I guess it means the toys are better than the ad, uhm, movie. Have a nice day.

6. Blackwood says:

A movie dont has to good everytime, is about beeing entertainmt and refer the movie to old Transformers cartoons! :) hell yes!

ROLL OUT!

7. Jim R. says:

The first film had its moments however was other times almost painful to watch. The geek in me wanted to see it succeed. Even though it did in terms of box office numbers I’m feeling just a little hesitant about this second film.

I’ll trust you, Brian and O to review this one on the next ELR first. If you guys think it’s worth it then I’ll go see it in theaters, otherwise I’ll just wait for the DVD.

8. BetaRayBill says:

It is all about the IMAX…can’t wait

9. Darrell says:

The Transformers is not designed to win oscars and garner critical acclaim. They’re meant to go ree-row-reh-reee “Roll out!” So I’ll be seeing it too, even if the critics are right.
    One review says, “Maxing the sci-fi elements, Bay brings in 50-odd different robots including two that win my Jah Jah Binks Film Award for comic ethnic stereotyping.”
    Oooh a Ding Pong transformer? I’m going for sure now! :D

10. KokomoMan says:

The thing is, no transformers fan is going to the movie to see a revolutionary take on the Autobot’s feelings. They’re not there to see the Autobots have relationship problems in the south of France. This is what a normal critic is going for. “A movie with heart! A movie with PASSION!”. I’ll tell you what. I don’t want a movie with any of those things. I want a big loud flashy movie with Big Frakin Robots blowing each other the frak up! It sounds like I’ll be getting what I’m asking for.

Never mind these critics. They don’t know what to look for in a fan service movie, unless they’re a fan.

11. bunnyrut says:

it has explosions?
    i’m so there!

• Tatiana says:

I am selling this for my mum she has lost her lncciee. Slight damage where I removed the blades she\’d welded on the side. Also don\’t drive it on the east side of Rotherham without a respray or Hells Grannies will get you.

12. Scott says:

Fixed the “of”. Thanks, Durrin.

13. Dave_nab says:

Mmmmmmm…Megan Fox, so yummy :-p

14. Saltybob says:

well put scott. well put.

15. Matthew says:

Here’s the run down. If you think Transformers 2 is a good movie, you’re an idiot. Currently, there are nearly fourteen hundred idiots at IMDB that believe this to be a perfect movie.

16. Dourgrim says:

Oooh, Scott, your first day of full-time Frog Pants action and you’ve already got yourself a gen-yoo-ine TROLL. Yay for anonymous trolling! :eyeroll:

I haven’t seen the movie yet, but in the trailer I couldn’t help but notice that Mr. LeBeouf’s scream was significantly more girly than Ms. Fox’s scream. I think it’s because she has more of a chin than he does, but I’m not 100% certain.

My fiancée is excited to see this (she LOVED the first one), and since getting her to go see geeky movies is usually next to impossible, I’m sure I’ll be seeing this soon. Gotta love me some big ol’ robots and a healthy dose of nostalgia!

17. Darth_yoda (UK) says:

For those of you that want to keep an eye on the reviewers scores then here is a couple of links:

(no overall score in metacritic yet but more reviewers will be added soon)

18. Scott says:

For the record, I am excited to see it either way. I don’t expect greatness. I expect robots kicking the crap out of each other.

19. Novan Leon says:

Reading the rotten tomatoes reviews, I was surprised how often the reviewers compared watching the movie with being hit over the head with some kind of hard object.

20. Diego S. says:

well of course the movie sucks because its about freaking robots from space who can transform into different tipes of vehicles n shiz but hey, im in it for the FX and megan fox’s arse!

21. I’m enough of a dork to want to see it in the theaters. I’ve learned to go the opposite way of the regular reviewers, because most are bitter bastards that HAVE to watch every single movie that comes out. It was fun to watch Siskel and Ebert in the old days because they couldn’t stand each other and sat at opposite corners of the theater.

I liked the first because it had what I expected: wonderfully rendered CGI robots trashing each other and ruining lawns. The only downside for me was the romance triangle with LePouf. That was fan service gone horribly wrong. Transformers is a limited universe, which is why Transformers Lemons aren’t common—that’s what the upcoming Thundercats movie is for. :-Þ

22. Novan Leon says:

Am I the only one that finds the massive amounts of Megan Fox fanservice absolutely digusting?

23. Scott says:

Nope. You, in fact, are at the root of this comic truth be revealed.

24. Zorbane says:

I for one am annoyed at how so much attention is put on Megan Fox. It’s a transformers movie dammit :(

Of course I don’t mind the pics :D

But yeah I’d like to hear about the movie during the promotional stuff.

25. Josh says:

And what a glorious one star it is.

26. Dourgrim says:

I agree that Ms. Fox (does anyone think that’s the name she was born with?) is ludicrously attractive, but I also agree that the tongue-dragging and drooling gets a bit old after a while. It’s unfortunate that she ends up garnering more attention than the entire point of the movie… the Transformers.

That’s why I love this site, when it comes right down to it… because Scott sees stuff like that and isn’t afraid to take a sideways jab at it from time to time.

Now BRING BACK DING PONG! :D

27. Transformers 2 was utterly dire :( I was just plain boring. I hate it when films try to appeal to too many audiences and end up neither being an action film nor a comedy. It was just random scenes of stuff happening for the sake of it.

Best thing about it? Soundwave by far :)

28. virgowall says:

lol…festering boil.

29. mercator says:

Megan Fox = 1 errr “Thumb” up!

30. McLovin says:

Lol, what is this guy wearing, a cape? Awesome “movie snob” characachure.

31. Nakoma says:

Not a fan of the movies, but I will certainly take any service that Miss Fox would like to give! :D

32. bunnyrut says:

i hate when one person doesn’t like something and then decides that everyone should hate it too. that’s why we all have our own opinions. if you think everyone is and idiot for liking the movie, Matthew, then you are the bigger idiot for thinking everyone in the universe should think like you.

and We Fly Spitfires: I’m sorry you were boring… 0.o

33. NeuroMan42 says:

I am going for the robots. Which is the ONLY reason I went to the first one.

34. Matthew says:

lol@bunnyrut

I’m sorry, but I’m hopeful that humanity still has some intelligence left, liking this movie is a sign of being braindead.

35. Kenneth says:

Hail the braindead revolution! Welcome to the Zombie Apocalypse. Bring on the Fox!

36. T.Poe says:

The people who expect this movie to be intellectual obviously never played with Transformers when they were little. If they had anything to do with Transformers, it was to collect them and keep them in mint condition, in their box so they could resell them later for great profit.

Which, much like their expectations for this movie, miss the point entirely. I’m all for deep, intelligent movies with subtle stories and characters, but I would be really pissed off if ILM nearly melted their mega computes just so we could have Transformers that stood around and talked.

37. Dourgrim says:

… and yet we still feed the trolls. Have we learned nothing, bunnyrut, about now the internet works yet? There are ALWAYS going to be people who hide behind the relative anonymity of message boards (and comment threads) to marginalize others to make themselves feel better. Simply ignore them, because actually trying to argue with them just gives them the juvenile satisfaction they need to bolster their low self-esteems.

38. Sir Richfield says:

Was the CGI expensive?
    Are the robots well done?
    Do they blow shit up?
    If those questioned are answered “yes” then hell I’m in!
    Those are the kind of movies cinema was made for.
    All other films can be seen at home on TV.

(If only Bay would get rid of his drunk cameraman syndrome)

39. Ado says:

I’m not expecting much from the movie in terms of anything thought provoking but it will be fun. I don’t see why they can’t make the movie franchise a little deeper though. You can have awesome action and thoughtful writing at the same time.

40. bunnyrut says:

@ Dourgrim

yes, i was stupid and replied to a troll. i forget that the internet is swarming with idiots who can only say things behind the mask of their monitors. i’ll try not to do it again. i really do need to stop…

but on a completely different note totally related to this board: I WENT TO SEE A PRESCREENING OF TRANSFORMERS!!! AND TOTALLY DID NOT GET IN!!!! LOL
    there were so many people there that someone my friend knew was there 4 hours before the screening and still did not get in.
    why would they give out well over 200 *extra* passes for 1 screening?

41. Jordy says:

Went into the movie expecting to see more robots kick the crap out of each other and more humor from various sources, I was very pleasantly surprised to finally hear Frank Welker in a Transformers movie.

Will definitely see it again in the near future, if you liked the first one, you’ll love this one.

42. Saz says:

I would like to respectfully disagree with “if you liked the first one, you’ll love this one.”