By any other name…

December 6, 2010
By any other name…

Got this idea from a reply to a tweet I did about QuarkXPress, from fellow cartoonist Paul Southworth. Cracked me up. Had to push it out of my mind. (If you don’t know what QuarkXPress is, click here. If you don’t know who Quark was, click here.)

13 Responses to By any other name…

1. Took me a while to figure this out, But got it in the end :)

2. Austin says:

Quark is also german for cream cheese ^__^

3. Lotak says:

This just fixed my Monday morning. Awesome. :D

4. Abovan says:

Oh QuarkXpress. Takes me back to my college days in my computer art class. Man, I was horrible with that software, making uninspired pieces of “art” with Quark. Only reason I got an A in the course is because I was able to fix all of the Mac and printers in the lab.

5. Daniora says:

We have a car dealer around here called Quirk Honda. Every time I hear the radio ads, all I can thin of is Quark Honda, with a surly ferengi selling you used cars at competitive prices.

6. Doctorsoul says:

This had me laughing out VERY loud! :)

7. Collin says:

Oh Quark, you’ve been murdered by adobe indesign.

8. mercator says:

Acrobat Professional = pole dancer
    Adobe Acrobat Professional = New Mexico pole dancer

_-_

9. AJ says:

No Cata cartoon??? i’m let down …. could have at least had some picture with you sitting uncomfortably close to another of your co-hosts :)

10. Energyone says:

I’m a Garak fan, but Quark + Odo were great too.

• Joel says:

Jim, while we come at this from very different aglnes, and there are many points where we disagree, I am in total agreement with you on the following:We should start with the development of better climate-prediction tools. The climate-modeling community has made real progress, but needs to mature rapidly if we are to use climate models as the basis for trillion-dollar decisions. Today, climate modeling shows all the classic symptoms of poor supervision of smart analysts, including: excessive analytical complexity driven by researcher interest rather than focus on task-at-hand; lack of rigorous validation studies; software-engineering quality standards more appropriate for exploratory research than for reliable predictions; lack of transparent data standards; and an over-weighting of investment in analysis, as opposed to data collection and validation. The federal government should redirect funding in this area to develop a better software-modeling process, in combination with networks of physical sensors that can provide early-warning systems for the most plausible of the potential catastrophic climate scenarios. Alas, I think expecting a real understanding of systems engineering to come out of the science bureaucracy in this or any other country without some sort of unusual push from the private sector is optimistic to the point of being unrealistic.I’ll have more to say about the prediction question on this blog soon. In short. climatology will not make the transition from a pure science to an applied science very easily.I’d be very happy to discuss this with you at length. Feel free to get in touch; I’m sure you’ll have no trouble tracking me down.

11. James says:

I have a “Quark mini” flashlight

no I am not making it up.