A matter of perspective

April 29, 2013
A matter of perspective

Clearly the real reason they do this now, is overseas box-office numbers far exceed US numbers, at least on opening weekend. Makes sense to me. But we’ve been spoiled. Some people get all nationalistic about people getting our big cultural products first. :)

19 Responses to A matter of perspective

1. lurker says:

Well said…although I have distinctly remember waiting till 9am (PST) to get Shogun II activated as I bought it at Midnight on release day – only to wait till 9am for everyone to be able to “play” it.

2. Darrell says:

I’m sure it has something to do with American critics getting all too… well… critical about popcorn flicks where international markets seem to be more receptive.

3. Roland Henning says:

Being from Germany we are used to get certain movies 4 weeks later on average. Only big blockbusters are the exception. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World got to Germany 8 months later. It is so hard not to read spoilers online.

4. I suddenly crave popcorn…

5. Imzee says:

Here in South Korea, one can go to the theaters and watch Iron Man 3… or Django Unchained.

6. Tank-Like says:

The whole Iron Man 3 thing is somewhat weird. Normally, thursdays are the day new movies are introduced in Germany. But IM3 starts on a wednesday. It does make sense to some extend since it’s May 1st which is a national holiday (Labour Day) but still – weird!

I actually won’t see it until the weekend or maybe even the beginning of next week.
    Tomorrow, all hell will probably break loose ’cause all the ‘early adopters’ will storm the theaters. Waiting a few days won’t kill me – I hope :D

7. Keith Gould says:

…cultural product…

8. Vake Xeacons says:

True, Scott. People are spoiled, U.S. not least of all. But keep in mind, we made the dang thing. We’re always last to get games, art, and beer. Is our own “Iron Man” going to have to go on the Operation Rainfall list?

9. Guillermo Castro says:

I am from Mexico and I saw Iron Man 3 last Saturday (I won’t tell any spoilers). I think the reason they released it one week earlier (at least in Mexico) is because we have two important holidays this week: April 30 is Children’s Day and May 1st is Labor Day. People usually celebrate the weekend before, so it is a good opportunity for Movie theaters to make money. At least that’s what I think.

10. Donnerberg says:

Australia apparently get some movies super early too.

11. Bay says:

Is that what Turpster looks like?

12. Ed says:

I noticed the American is angry and the Brit is well tempered. Nice touch!

13. lurker says:

yeah Que up like a good Brit. -Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

14. Imzee says:

I was talking to a Korean friend of mine and he posed an interesting theory. With the release of Iron Man 3 in Asia before the US, he feels that many Koreans went to see Iron Man 3 in the theaters instead of illegally downloading it.
    In the case of movies that are released in the US first, many Koreans would download it and only see in theaters if it’s really good. I don’t know if his theory holds water but I can see his point.

15. Sheepykins says:

The reason the US gets everything 3 months before the UK is quality control laws, the US is much laxer than europe regarding such laws.

We may get it late, the but the EU ensures its a better quality of product for us. Fair deal

16. Irmgard Schmits says:

On 16 May 2006, Flickr updated its services from beta to “gamma”, along with a design and structural overhaul. According to the site’s FAQ, the term “gamma”, rarely used in software development, is intended to be tongue-in-cheek to indicate that the service is always being tested by its users, and is in a state of perpetual improvement.,;

Adieu