A Fly’s Life

August 23, 2010
A Fly’s Life

Flys are weird. This time of year, we get a ton of them, and any chance they get to get in through an open door, they take it. Always August and September for us. Got me to thinking about how compressed their lifetimes are. And as a result, this comic spilled out.

18 Responses to A Fly’s Life

1. Abovan says:

This reminds me of the attention span of the posters of any developer provided game forum, like the WoW forums.

2. I love how when you go to grill there seems to be a ton of them that come out of no where.
    Fun times.

3. Nate says:

Awesome. And is it sad that I can hear Scott’s voice as the grandpa fly in my head.

4. Darrell says:

Love this one, and it’s totally true. Same with spiders around here.

Flies are wonderful targets for practicing naked shower towel snapping.

• LOL. I love it, especially the kilelr music.Your dramatic scene reminds me of when a squirrel bit my finger while I was feeding it peanut butter chocolate balls at the park when I was about four years old. It latched on and stayed even while I was flailing around. In retrospect, I probably should have gotten a rabies shot or something….

5. Dramble says:

Looks more like cookie-dough, tomato, and lettuce between two slabs of dry wall to me, but then again I may be mistranslating as I don’t speak fly.

6. Goeber says:

Very good comic. Thanks for the laugh. :)

7. Asterix says:

Funny. Off topic, I hope ELR comes back online. Maybe you can start a new show with O and Brian… You guys were da bomb.

8. p1nkrubb3rd1ld0 says:

as much as i like your comics this one is dumb. if you gonna draw something read something about it. typicaly flys live for about 3-4 weeks.

9. Jay says:

Flies don’t actually have mouths. But that would ruin the comic, wouldn’t it?

Also of note, they eat by throwing up on the food (their bile is quite acidic) and then slurping it and whatever it dissolves.

10. I don’t know about houseflies, but we were just talking last night about mayflies and how they only live a day or two once they climb out of the water for that final molt. Their only purpose is to reproduce, and they don’t even have mouthparts. Most of their lives are spent as badass underwater predators like crane flies (a.k.a. mosquito eaters,) dragonflies, and damselflies.

Oh yeah, I was busting up to your comic: fly humor is always good. The little bit of anthropomorphization (is that a word?) in the middle frame hit my humor nerve.

11. BigBang says:

The strip would also work perfectly well if you declared it as criticism on internet trolls. You know, that kind of person you send a picture that was posted 2 hours earlier on some forum, and all you get is: “Old.”